Sunday, January 10, 2010

SCENIC SUNDAYS: Snow-laden Spruce


Winter 2009

This tree is a treasure that was given to me by my friend, Ellen in memory of my dad when he died instead of the usual gift of flowers; one of the kindest things, so unique and lasting. I know she didn't know it, but blue spruce was one of my dad's favorite trees, and I and my siblings worked alongside of him to help plant plenty of these in suburban yards around the area where we lived.

There were nine of us kids, and Dad always had several side businesses going on the side to support all of us; to help shore up income because of the unreliability of GM work-- and most of all to make it possible to live debt-free.

So his main source of income for this little nursery business was blue spruce. I'm very touched by this tree that grew from around six feet to a giant in the 14 years this March since he died.

This photo of it is one of my favorite; the second-favorite is in my header. Dad never liked it when the bottom branches were taken from spruce trees, so I leave my spruce trees alone. It's enjoyable to know that bunnies live under it and birds love it and make it their home all the year through.

8 comments:

Julie Harward said...

OH, I LOVE THEM TOO, MY MOM HAD TWO BIG BEAUTIFUL ONES IN HER BACK YARD, ONE DAY MY BROTHER CAME AND DID HER YARD WORK WHILE SHE WAS GONE. HE (DID HER A FAVOR) BY CUTTING ALL THE BOTTOM BRANCHES OFF...SHE WAS SO SAD ABOUT THAT, SHE SAID THEY LOOKED LIKE GIRLS WITH TOO SHORT OF SKIRTS! COME SAY HI :D

Donna said...

That is a beautiful photo and a beautiful post. Thank you for warming my heart this morning!

Dee said...

Just beautiful, Joni. What a wonderful way to memorialize your father, in a beautiful living tree! I have a yellow rosebush in my flower garden in memory of my mother too. It isn't alway easy to get to the cemetary to leave flowers as often as I would like so I planted a rosebush in memory of her on mother's day. Besides, I am pretty sure she would like to be remembered in a beautiful rosebush instead. Your blue spruce is just georgeous in the snow, and I loved this post.
Hugs,
Dee

Elenka said...

Beautiful photograph, and with so much meaning.
What could be better.

Deanna said...

The Spruce is gorgeous and so lovely snow covered.
Very nice picture.

May God Bless you,
d

savvycityfarmer said...

our spruce are LOADED with chickadees, my favs ..

p.s. planning meeting tomorrow for the stone meadow farm spring gala

mary your sis said...

Beautiful post! Do you remember the Sunday morning one year before Christmas when you looked out the window and noticed someone was cutting down one of our tall blue spruces from our nursery? We called the cops, they came and knew who stole it from your description. They went and got it, and we thought we'd just use it as a Christmas tree. Later someone came and asked to buy it, and you dickered with them until you got a great price for it. Daddy was sure proud of you for that! Remember? His eyes were twinkling that day!

Vicki's Bit-o-earth said...

I love those lasting kind of gifts, and I love Mary's memory about the stolen tree too. (: Every time I hear someone talk about a parent who has passed on, I get a chill... I still have both my parents and don't even like to think of when I won't. Beautiful post Joni~ xxxVicki