Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Old Barns...




Old Barns
Inga Gilson Caldwell

Old barns retain a mystic quality,
Within high raftered beams, the scent still clings
Of fragrant clover mixed with timothy;
Between the wide spaced boards, a wind harp sings
While sunlight forms pipe organ patterns on
The spacious floor where dust motes dance at will.

Within the choir loft, in unison,
Birds sing their choral music, versatile
In repertoire as any symphony.
Above a stable barn once, long ago,
A star of prophecy bent down and so
Old barns retain a mystic quality.





Can you see the deer standing there?  This old barn is in South Dakota.

7 comments:

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

I adore old barns! We have 2 on our property. A livestock barn and a tobacco barn! Thet are also still filled with years of "stuff" including a stove/oven from the 1940's that came out of our old farmhouse! Hmmmm. That could be a post!

Uh. Chinese spammers. I have been hit hard! But, I read in the NY Times this a.m. that Google is ready to pull out of China because of gov't issuses. This could help the spam thing!

Take care in that Michigan cold, Joni!
xo, misha

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

I love old barns, there are two in our family...everytime I see one torn down I cry, I wish I was kidding but I am not. It should be illegal.

Vicki's Bit-o-earth said...

Ahhhh, Old barns! I love them. We have one up at our ranch~ I've often dreamed of dragging Dad's equipment out of it and taking it over for my stuff! LOL

Mel said...

I agree with Parisienne Farmgirl; in that, it should be illegal. We live in an area with a lot of old barns, when I see them I think of all the blood sweat and tears that went into building them.

P.S. We live in a barn~ No really!

Sharing in the love of old barns,Mel

Meadowbrook Cabin Primitives said...

I love olde barns.. I live around a few of them and one big one that is still a working dairy farm .

Even went to a barn dance last fall at the neighbor's barn!

The photos on the post below are really awesome.. amazingly so !

Hugs,
Linda

Elenka said...

Old barns are great, but I'll tell ya, I'm sooo glad our old, old house doesn't have an old, old barn attached to it anymore. Whew.

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

I LOVE barns whether they're old or new!