Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Gaga for a Gingham Retro Apron!


My daughter sent a little package the other day.

AND OH MY.

Hidden among the Crimson Tide Championship t-shirts for her daddy and her brothers she had hidden this little gem for her mom! She found it on clearance for half price (for $3!!!) in an antique store not far from where she lives.
Ain't it the sweetest? It's now at home with my other aprons hanging on the wall in my farmhouse kitchen. This apron is a standout, that's for sure!



Just look at it, and how it goes so well with my little "quilted" nesting bowl from Gooseberry Patch, that I found for an unbelievable clearance price last year. Girls, when Gooseberry Patch has a clearance sale, it's worth a look! (Here's a link to their cute blog.)

These bowls came right in time to get put into the cabinets after we remodeled our kitchen this summer!




The apron is all handwork, from the scalloped hem, trimmed in rick rack, and each point of the rick rack has a french knot on the tip! As someone who knows a little about handwork, this apron is much appreciated for all the time it must have taken and the detail makes it so much more precious.




I love how the rick rack, itself a zig zag pattern is sewn onto the gingham in its own zig zag pattern...very bold and when you look at it from a distance, it almost makes the apron look like a two piece apron with a flouncy over skirt!




I'm lovin' those cross-stitch diamonds that dance just above the hem.

To me, a gift like this is so special...not only is it something I love, it's something extra special because of the time someone special to me took to choose it, and the original owner took the time to make it by hand. The colors? Just perfect.

Thanks a bunch, Jamie! I LOVE IT and I love YOU!!

Below is a photo of my recipe cabinet. On it I have displayed the recipe book Jamie got me for Christmas, and the little display I made around it one day. I got inspired and pulled out from various cabinets: a sundae glass, my straw dispenser, and a diner-style serving basket and hot dog holder I got years ago at Target and from the fridge a little glass bottle of root beer. It's fun to cheer up the kitchen in the dreary winter months. One night, I'm going to make a diner dinner and use my little serving baskets and serve up some sundaes for dessert!

(Click any photo to enlarge!)




10 comments:

Von said...

Nice apron!!Have you ever seen Australian Cross-stitch?Don't see it much these days but so simple and effective on gingham.If you're keen I'll photograph one my Mum made.

Julie Harward said...

OH SOOOO CUTE! I AM A BIG APRONISTA! I LOVE THEM SO MUCH AS YOU WILL SOON SEE ;D LOVE THIS ONE, EVERY PRECIOUS DETAIL OF IT..AND WHAT A THOUGHTFUL DAUGHTER TOO..YOU ARE A BLESSED MOTHER! LOVE THE CUTE KITCHEN STUFF TOO AND THATS A GOOD IDEA FOR SUPPER! COME SAY HI :D

Bloggin bout my Boys said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE gingham and in a vintage apron it is TOP NOTCH!! You have a very thougtful gal there!! Love the display and especially the b/w pic of it!! A rootbeer stand is NEVER to be passed by without regret in the summer,especially a good ol' A&W if you can find one!!Even though I am cold this morning I would still be giddy for a frosty mug of RB!!!

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

What a darling apron...what a thoughtful gift from your sweet daughter. Aren't aprons wonderful? I just got a cute cupcake apron from Avon.

Donna said...

Can I come live with you....????LOLOL....

mary your sis said...

What an adorable apron. Jamie sure has a good eye for a bargain and cuteness, too. I should have used your basket for my daughter's 13th birthday party on Saturday. We served hot dogs, chili/cheese fries and coke floats, with diner decor, and a couple of guests even wore poodle skirts! Her fav party so far!

Simple Home said...

What a cute little apron. I have a gingham apron that was made by my grandmother and the rick rack is sewed on the same way. It seems like extra work to me, but she was quite a seamstress. I love the colors in yours. You have a daughter that knows your tastes, how wonderful!
Blessings,
Marcia

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

I love the vintage apron! Sweet as sugar pie, as your daughter! Have a wonderful weekend sweetie!

Hugs,
Maryjane

More than Survival said...

WAY COOL!!! Enjoy!!!!
Heather

LeaderOfTheChickenParade said...

I knew you would like the apron! : ) I thought it would go good with the kitchen. I will have to email you the one I found and sent to Autumn. I hope her package arrived safely. Aunt MAry -- you'll have to ask he if she go it.