Thursday, June 7, 2012

Farmhouse Diner: Perfect French Toast










Girlfriends, I found the very BEST French toast recipe and I just have to share it with you.  


This is a restaurant-quality recipe and of course, we enjoy having breakfast for supper about once a week at least.  With fresh strawberries right from the patch, this is seasonal food that is so wonderful to enjoy this time of year.  Nothing beats a strawberry right from the garden!






Served with a slice or two of good butcher-shop bacon, it's oooh...so sweet with garden-fresh strawberries and some confectioner's sugar.   


I can't wait to try this again, with some new variations...for one, I am going to trade out the white sugar for brown, and I also want to add nutmeg to it. 


This is a custard-like dip for your french toast with a nice substance and a good finish and feel.  The difference in this recipe that is something I never had done before is the flour in the recipe.  It coats the bread in a substantial way and prevents sogginess.  


See what you think!  


Farmhouse French Toast
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 pinch salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla extract
1 T. white sugar
12 slices of thick bread


1.  Measure flour into a large bowl or I put it into the mixer bowl on the Kitchen-aid; it worked really well for me...  


2.  Whisk into the flour the milk, then eggs, then salt, cinnamon, vanilla extract and sugar; and mix or whisk until smooth. 


3.  Lightly oil a griddle or frypan over medium heat.


4.  Dip each bread slice on each side to soak; and the cook on a griddle until golden brown.


SERVE your way!  ENJOY! 













Strawberries!  I love them, and I love anything with strawberries on it!  
And I also love gingham--it's in my kitchen.
They go together so well.

This time of year, I pull out a single napkin my daughter Jamie gave to me, with a single strawberry embroidered on it, and I place it over the valance in my kitchen window over the sink.  Simple and fun.  I can do this throughout the year with different themes if they match my red gingham!  





And here is a red gingham strawberry I place in different spots around the kitchen, right now, it's a "topper" to a vintage milk bottle with adorable red graphics.  More RED here.  







Do you enjoy a breakfast for dinner every now and then?  



10 comments:

JulieF1962 said...

The ingredients sound delicious, but I think some of the steps may have been left out. When do you add the eggs and milk, and step 4 doesn't really make sense. I know I can figure it out on my own, but it might cause some confusion to people who haven't been cooking for long. :)
Thank you for the delicious sounding recipe!

Mary Ann Potter said...

Woo hoo! French toast with a substantial, sweet coating! I can't wait to try this. Yes, it does appear you left out a step, but we know you meant "soak" and then "fry." Have a most blessed and abundant day!

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

Julie, thanks so very much for pointing out those errors, I wrote the post late last night, and WOW! I was more exhausted than I thought, and hopefully the changes I've made will now clarify, and make it more clear, if not, please let me know again! ((GIGGLE! Note to self, NEVER type up a recipe when tired!))
XOXO
Joni

Echoes From the Hill said...

I'll definitely try this recipe.

We like breakfast for dinner and have it at least a couple times each month. Homemade waffles and strawberries is a favorite.
nancyr

Penny said...

I love having breakfast for dinner!! And I will definitely try this recipe! Looks so yummy with the strawberries and powdered sugar.... TFS!!

Pauline said...

Hi, Joni! I too looovve having breakfast for dinner!! And since any kind of French Toast is one of my faves - I will certainly give this a try! Looks yummy & easy, too - thanks for sharing!

~Christine~ said...

Sounds Delicious! Can't wait to try it!

Aimee said...

Joni,
Your french toast looks yummy!Love this time of the year with the local berries, flowers everywhere, occasional sunshine...
I'm notorious for making little errors on posts because I like to write them at odd hours. You do FINE!
Blessings,
Aimee

trump said...

My dad really loves french toast, and I love those old milk bottles in the other picture. Richard

Anonymous said...

I followed this recipe exactly and I was very disappointed. I think it's too much milk or not enough egg. It was bland and when cooked my bread looked more like pancakes cooked on top of the bread than your picture or even basic French toast. I sadly wasted part of my evening and all these ingredients to just have to cook something else.