Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Best Coconut Cake & Frosting in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD!

Pull out the apron, ladies! It's time to bake a special cake!

Make him this tall, airy cake, with a dreamy, creamy rich flavored frosting, just sweet enough, but not TOO, and a just-right velvety smooth texture, combined with a hint of raspberry between the layers....it's all the Valentine you'll ever need!


Pull out your pedestal cake plate and give this beauty the royal treatment it deserves! Fit for your most special ocassion!
Take any white cake mix and add an extra egg in addition to the ingredients already on the box. Mix it according to package directions ONLY mix it longer and longer...maybe 8-10 minutes? (The result of mixing so long allows more and more height to your layers, and they'll be nice and tall when they bake!)
That's it, then bake the cake according to package directions in two round layer pans, I used two 8" round pans so the cake would fit on my pedestal plate.
NOTE: I don't leave the yolks out, because I don't care if my cake is white or yellow. This cake is so evil I only make it a few times a year.
Feel free to do what you want to do, for Easter, I do prefer the cake to be pure white for some reason and I'll leave the yolks out.

*While the layers cool, if you'd like, put raspberry jam on top of one of the layers so it can soak in a little bit, that way it won't mix with your frosting when you frost between the layers.

When the frosting is finished, stack your cakes flat side UP...then just frost generously, and sprinkle coconut on the middle layer over the frosting, and then the top surface of the cake, too! I lay it on pretty thick!

Here's the secret to a really good coconut cake! THE FROSTING! This is all you do!

CREAMY FROSTING


In a saucepan, use a whisk to blend 1 cup milk into 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat, and cook and stir two minutes more. Remove from heat. Cover the surface with plastic wrap. Cool to room twmperature (do not stir). In a medium mixing bowl, beat 1 c. softened butter, 1 cup granulated sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add cooled milk mixture to butter mixture a quarter cup at a time, beating on low speed after each addition until smooth.



YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE NUTRITION FACTS ON THIS FROSTING!!! Enjoy the resulting love handles...
OFFICIAL FARMHOUSE FOOD!

11 comments:

-The Mongoose said...

I was browsing the blogs and stumbled across yours. You have such a lovely site set up here and the quotes from Reagan and Jefferson you've chosen are so very true.

Mom just made a carrot cake with lots of cream cheese frosting. Maybe when we're done with that the two of us should try making your coconut cake recipe :-D

- The Mongoose

The Raggedy Girl said...

What a wonderful Easter Cake this would make. Love the raspberry idea too.

Roberta Anne

Linda said...

One word: MMMMMMMMMMMMM. (wait, is that a word? ☺) Thank you for making me smile. Blessings

Donna said...

I'm Trying to diet here!!!!Hahahaa...Gads, this looks WONDERFUL!!!!hughugs

Shannon said...

Yum! This looks so delicious and simple -- maybe I could even make it!

It looks like you have a lovely home, a lovely life! I've enjoyed reading about your life.

www.threegirlsgrownup.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love coconut...how lovely is this?

shelia said...

delectable!!!
i just stumbled across your blog...and now i hungry :0
thanks ;)

Meadowbrook Cabin Primitives said...

Oh, who doesn't like coconut cake ! Yummy ! Thank you for posting the recipe ~

and I also clicked on your peanut butter sheet cake recipe, and just gained 10 pounds reading it ! I love peanut butter !

May you have a Blessed and Joyous Easter!

Hugs,

Linda

Faith said...

I was out wondering the blogosphere, and ran across your blog. The coconut cake caught my attention, and then come to find out you are a washline lady....love that...it is happiness watching it flappin in the breeze....in fact I blogged about just this subject this week.

You have a beautiful place..and it is a comfy blog...

Faith said...

Thank you for stopping by my place..oh yes, we are kindred spirits on many things, as I peruse you blog...I see Ronald Reagan, John Wayne, the washline,the recipes, the homey good feeling, the simple life...oh yes we are kindred sprits...I am so glad to have made your acquaintance..your blog is user friendly,and if I may say "Mayberry Like"...Have a great day...

Anonymous said...

I tried to make this frosting I got soup.