Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Your Own Homemade Fabric Softener




Some time ago as I blog-hopped, I scribbled down a recipe for homemade fabric softener from SUZANNE of "AT HOME WITH THE FARMER'S WIFE". I thought you might like to know this, because this batch was made for a bit of change over a single dollar so I'm spreadin' the word, gals!

First, you go to the pantry and find that conditioner you didn't like, but couldn't bring yourself to throw away. Who knew there's another use for it! You find one that's ocean breeze and another in a blueberries 'n cream scent. Ocean breeze seems more like a laundry scent. Blueberries 'n cream will wait until next time. The "April" brand was $1 and the "VO5" was $1.38. No big loss if it doesn't work out. Grab the big jug of white vinegar from the shelf...and that old empty Downy bottle, (or any clean, dry plastic container like a milk jug will do).

Dig out the card.....

To the laundry section...

There's my scribblin'! Time to play chemist...where's my lab coat? *Ü* It literally takes two minutes and it's done. I tried it and it works! AND...it does NOT smell vinegar-y. It smells like a tart ocean breeze, unbelievably, the vinegar smell is mostly neutralized by the conditioner and the water. (Please note: I should have added to my recipe card: Shake well when the mixture is all in the jug once you've put the lid on tightly, and shake well before using, too.)

I still miss my Downy, I've been using it for twenty years, but I am more than happy that I have at least a month's worth of fabric softener for a dollar and some change! The smell does not come through on the clothing, (that I could tell) but they did turn out nice and soft, as soft as with any brand name product. But the scent of your clothing will depend on which conditioner you use and how much perfume is in that particular brand. Have fun and let me know any tips or tricks you know (or learn) about making your own fabric softener!

23 comments:

Angelina said...

WAHOOOOOO I am soo trying this- I have a "secret" supplier for BULK FREE conditioner- I can never use it all.......so I will keep you posted......

Gena said...

What an awesome idea! I have made my own detergent and it was okay - not my favorite - but it sure did save money.

Like you, I have my favorite laundry smells. My current one is A&H detergent and Gain softener. But, if I can save $10-$15 a month or so? I'll be willing to try something new! Thanks for sharing. I'll let you know what I come up with.

blushing rose said...

Now who wudda thunk it. Chuckle ... What a great tip/idea. TY for sharing. TTFN ~ Marydon

Unknown said...

I'll give it a try! I have some empty bottles waiting to be recycled and I know theres some cream rinse around here too. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Thanks for this great recipe; I don't use fabric softener often but nice to know I've got the makings when I need some.

Carol Murdock said...

Well I never! Joni you never cease to amaze me!
I have yeegads of left over conditioner! I'm trying this for sure!

Ali said...

Awesome! I will have to try this with my unused conditioners. It would go perfectly with my homemade detergent! Thanks for sharing =)

Molly Betsy @ Star Cottage said...

Wow thanks for sharing. I always just used plain vinegar in my rinse cycle, but adding the conditioner for scent is a great idea.

joyh82 said...

what a clever idea!

KathyB. said...

Oh boy! I will be a trying this recipe. Your recipe file looks like mine. Well used and loved !

Anonymous said...

I'll be making this today! I was just asking about a recipe for this on sugar pie the the other day!

winnie said...

I have to try this tip.

Rue said...

Oh! Oh! I know where you found it!!!! (raising hand) The farmer's wife Suzanne!! :)

Oh and you wanted to see the basement... you get a glimpse for now sister! LOL

xoxo,
rue

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Hey Joni!
Hope to be back on my own computer in the next day or so....whew! Talk about withdrawal!
The problem I always have with fabric softener is....I am not in the basement when the load is on the rinse cycle. I leave it...go back down to retrieve it, then hang it outside. I might just make up a batch to haver down there...just in case!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Thank you so much for this recipe! I am excited to try it! I am still trying to get a post together with some of my favorite products! What a difference the quality makes in our health and our pocket book, too!

Suzanne said...

I'm so glad that you whipped up a batch. I was very surprised when I made it for the first time. I was afraid we would smell like salad dressing, but it just leaves things smelling fresh and not perfumey. I was a April Fresh Downy addict but lately my nose is super sensitive to perfumes and such. Try my homemade laundry soap also. (Search my archives). It works great and only costs pennies per load.

BTW, the fabric softener recipe was passed along to my by Heidi, the Milk Man's wife!

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Anonymous said...

Check out the Duggar family site. They have a receipe for detergent and a way to make your Downy go ten times farther! I love them both!

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

I am trying the softener tomorrow! With 3 dogs, umpteen cats, and four horses...oh, yes I need to save to $$$. Thanks! I am also going to check out the other sites mentioned to see what else I can make at home.

Thanks :) Misha

Kristi Oliveira said...

Do you think this would work with some environmentally friend hair conditioner? Or possibly just mix the vinegar with water and your favorite essential oil? I am looking for something natural. I know that vinegar in the wash softens clothes and I use it in every wash already.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Serah02 said...

I LOVE this idea, but you didn't say how much to put in each load of laundry...or did you and I just missed it?

Unknown said...

I've never seen essential oils. Where does one purchase essential oils from? Is there an isle in a department store where I should look, or a favorite brand that anyone has found that's best?

Struemke Wellness said...

I'm also curious how much you add to a load.