Tuesday, January 5, 2010

An Impressionist Portrait of Our Farmhouse


This is one of my favorite Christmas gifts and I knew I just had to share it with you. I never thought it would be possible to have an original oil painting of my home, but I always have thought our old house is worthy to "sit" for a portrait! It's not something I'm talented enough to do, that's for sure. But, to have it be affordable?! I never dreamed it possible!

All I had to do was to email several shots of the farmhouse to the artist and she did the rest!

I think the "impressionist" style of painting suits our old home and to me, the beauty of it is that the painting itself looks antique but was actually only done a couple of weeks ago. One of the most favorite details in the painting beside the house are the flag, the spring flowers and also the shadows of our huge silver maple tree on the lawn....just gorgeous.

Barb Pask is the name of the artist who painted this for me and she has her own blog here. I think her talent and work is worthy of showcasing so that's why I'm happy to blog about this talented lady and her work. Hop on over to take a look!



I still have to purchase a frame (this is an 11 x 14 stretched canvas that will fit into a pre-made frame I can purchase anywhere) but it looks perfectly adorable sitting on the chair rail in the dining room while I admire it for awhile.

I emailed Barb my home in all seasons and we chose which season would work best: the spring photo had the best light. All I had to do was to tell Barb what to leave out, what to put in; and little details like make SURE there's a flag waving from the front porch railing. The original photo had a wreath that looked much too small and before the painting dried, it was easy enough for Barb to take out while the oils were still wet and she happily did so.

Barb is sweet and so easy to work with: she also paints portraits of children and adults! If you'd like to hire her to paint your home or children, I'd be happy to recommend her and if you'd let her know that I sent you over, that would be great.

You can contact her through her blog by leaving a comment or contacting me. She also has portraits and paintings listed for sale on eBay; there's a link in her sidebar to her eBay page.

I can just picture so many of your wonderful homes and cottages done this way and I just had to share this with you; this was about $100 plus a few dollars for shipping. If you don't want your home done, perhaps you know someone that this would make a great gift for: next Christmas, a birthday, or Mother's Day!

Thanks so much, Barb, for a job well-done and for being so conscientious, kind and pleasant to work with! I absolutely LOVE this painting of our old house.


11 comments:

mary your sis said...

OOOOhhhh! So beautiful. I'm used to seeing the nice, crisp photo's of your home and they are wonderful. But, this adds such a nostalgic and soft look. I'll check out this talented artist: I'd love something like this!

lillie mae acres said...

Oh my goodness, this is beautiful. She did a terrific job, of course your home is beautiful so I bet she enjoyed every minute of doing this. I'll have to go over to her blog and check it out.

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

Wow!! She did an incredible job! I love the vibrant blues of your home and of course the flag. That was definitely worth $100!! I would love to have our home painted like that, but I'm gonna have to wait. =[ This is the year for it to get painted and a new roof.

Beautiful, just beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!

Julie Harward said...

GREAT JOB! I LOVE YOUR HOME TOO, IT REMINDS ME SO MUCH OF THE FARM HOUSE I GREW UP IN! IT'S A BEAUTIFUL PAINTING...NO PLACE LIKE HOME! :D

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

It is just perfect! Thank you for sharing this lovely painting.

FHCS said...

Joni,
That is just beautiful! I love your farmhouse and if I owned it, I might stare at that picture all day, he,he,he,. I will have to remember this when next Christmas rolls around. Thanks for sharing.
Dee

★Carol★ said...

Oh wow, I would love to have a painting of our home. We are very house proud! I think this would be a fabulous gift for our anniversary in August. I'll start taking shots of the house now. And like you, the most important thing will be the flag flying from the front porch!
Thank you so much for passing this on!
Carol

Bloggin bout my Boys said...

What a GREAT idea!! It is so pretty in the style you chose! One year a very poor gentleman that my folks had over to dinner for the holidays at their farmhouse, presented them with a beautiful sketch of the house and the dog in the yard. We had seen a car sitting by the driveway for a long time the day before,but shrugged it off. He told my folks he wanted to repay them for their kindness the only way he could. They TREASURED that sketch needless to say!! Made me think of it when I saw your beauiful painting. Thanks for sharing!

Vicki's Bit-o-earth said...

Just perfect Joni! I know just the person I want to give a gift like this to! Your house is beautiful~ xxxVicki

Barbara Pask said...

Joni, How sweet of you to do this post. It was such a pleasure to paint your wonderful farmhouse. Your blog is very special too, shows the joy in simple things. Thank you again.

Daisy Cottage said...

Oh that is absolutely precious!!! What a beautiful beautiful painting of your also precious home!!!

I love it! I know you will love this treasure forever too!

xo,
Kim