Thursday, January 21, 2010

In Which the Butternut Guilt Problem is Solved.

The problem: Bumper crop of butternut squash.

What to do....with all those butternut?

I put them in an old fruit crate and stored them in a cool, dry place and soon forgot about them.

Last year, I froze the cooked squash in large quantities and it made me feel so wasteful to thaw and cook so much (a quart at a time) and not eat it all.

The result? I had butternut GUILT!

There's really nothing worse than butternut guilt.

You have to know it to appreciate it.

This year's crop? They'll wait, they'll keep. Well.
They do keep--but certainly not FOREVER.

Last weekend we noticed that they were starting to deteriorate. Their creamy white flesh was starting to wrinkle and become bumpy. And flaccid. They reminded me of my own thighs in the deep, dark days of WINTER! It was sad.

The butternut were telling us that they can take cold but they can't take it forever. Sadly, some of them had to be thrown out before their weak, bumpy creamy white flesh began to stink.

That won't happen next year though, because now I've figured out my butternut problem.

SO.
What I did was:
I rescued the good ones before they turned flaccid and wrinkled.
I halved and deseeded them.
Baked them, turned down onto a cookie sheet with some standing water, covered in foil.
When done, I mashed the squash and divided into two sizes of container.


One container size is perfect for just us.
One container size is perfect for us plus company.


I froze the butternut in the two sizes of containers.
Once it was solid the next day, I then ran some water on the bottom of the container so the butternut rectangle would easily pop out, and then bagged them for the freezer and labeled them.

So now, I can get out there and take just the perfect amount out for a meal, close the bag again and not have anymore butternut guilt.

I'M SAVED!!!

If I had a little baby, I would freeze the butternut in ice cube trays and it would be the perfect serving size for babies to eat and it would be perfectly fresh and wonderful food from my garden....but alas, no babies here.

(But next year, Nana can make butternut baby food cubes for her little grandson to eat!)

I just wanted to share this with you so that you, too could enjoy a life free of butternut guilt.

(Do you feel better now?

I do.)




PS: Did you know that instead of using pumpkin in a recipe, you can use butternut squash?

8 comments:

Anne Marie said...

yum!!

and hi!!

Valerie said...

Hi Joni!

How the heck are ya? Were you over the moon about Scott Brown's victory in Mass? We sure were.

Thank you so much for dropping by a few weeks ago...I've been a bit under the weather lately and remiss about visiting good blogging friends.

I'll let you in on a little secret...I might have to take you up on your suggestion about butternut squash in ice cube trays...*wink* *wink*.

Hope you are staying warm in the Northern tundra!

Blessings,
Val

CACHANILLA73 said...

Hello, I've been reading your blog for quite a while and I love it. I just want to tell you that you are an inspiration to this Momma of 3 kittens. God Bless...

Cotty

Anonymous said...

Did not know you could do that!Thanks....I also liked the apron on Wed.
Smiles from Southern Mi Audrie

Von said...

Always satisfying to deal with a glut hey? Good one.Used to hang them individually in stockings,they lasted ages.

the canned quilter said...

What a great idea. I used to freeze basil and olive oil in ice cube trays then freeze in bags like that. Could take them out and make instant pesto. Just add cheese and nuts. Great for use in spaghetti sauce and pizza too.

Julie Harward said...

GOOD IDEA HERE! I LOVE ANY KIND OF SQUASH SO MUCH! OK NOW YOU BUTTERNUT HAVE ANY MORE GUILT ABOUT THIS :D

mary your sis said...

Good idea. I have squash compliments of my father-in-laws garden that needs to be used. I'll use this idea.