Saturday, August 8, 2009

Scenic Sunday: The Straits of Mackinac

And yes, the water really IS that blue!

The straits of Mackinac where Lake Huron and Lake Michigan come together as seen from the Mackinac Bridge. This is looking east to Lake Huron. Did you know that the Mackinac Bridge is FIVE MILES long? And that at certain times because of the winds over the water, that the bridge must be closed to traffic? Sometimes it's only to semi-trucks or vehicles hauling trailers, but sometimes it's closed to ALL traffic!
One time, it was so windy that a little YUGO (similar to today's AVEO) went right over the side of the bridge, drowning the driver.

Crossing during snowstorms with heavy accumulation can be particularly treacherous. The center lanes of the bridge both ways, are just open grating. This allows the bridge to flex and allows snow/rain to drain off. It's loud to drive on, so if you watch videos of the bridge crossing, you'll hear a loud "thummmmmm...." and when you're driving, you feel the pull of the grating on the wheels as you drive.

Go here for all kinds of bridge video (especially the view from the top and the one from a boat underneath!) and here for Mike Rowe's show "Dirty Jobs" from the Mighty Mackinac! The Mackinac leads to Michigan's Upper Peninsula...and it's full of nature's wonders....

11 comments:

Judy said...

This 'blue scene' looks much like many I have been seeing this past week. Lovely!

Thanks for stopping by My Front Porch...it's always nice to meet someone new.

Vicki's Bit-o-earth said...

That color of blue reminds me of Lake Louise in Alberta,Canada. Gorgeous (:

Suzann said...

Beautiful photograph.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Beautiful. Is the water really that blue?
Patricia

jen said...

Gorgeous!! We're so blessed to live in such a beautiful state!!

Jen

blushing rose said...

TY for your post on B.O. 'care'. If only people would stop for a minute & THINK about this scam we are being presented with, it will destroy our nation. TTFN ~Marydon

Gena said...

That is so beautiful. That part of the country is on my "To Visit" list!

I also just read your post about your kitchen re-do. I know it is going to look great. I have a question - where did you find the vinyl paper that looks like tin? That is what I want for my backsplash, but have never seen the vinyl. As I will be doing it by myself, I think that would be much easier to install (and keep clean!) than the actual tin.

Thanks for your help and your lovely and always informative blog. Have a wonderful Sunday.

Nancy Yoakum said...

My co-worker just got back from vacation there and brought her photos in for show-n-tell. Always loved it since the filmed Somewhere in Time there with Jane Seymour! I also love Mike Rowe and we watched a marathon of him last night dealing with all things SHARKS!

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful but there is NO WAY you could ever get me on that high of a bridge even if the bridge drivers were doing the driving!!! Scary!
If you have been across it I am now even more in awe of you:)
Blessings, Aimee

Rue said...

That water is really beautiful... I think we need to make a trip there soon :)

xoxo,
rue

Kathie Truitt said...

THIS is my favorite part of the country, believe it or not. Love, love, love Mackinac Island.