Monday, August 3, 2009

A Pleasant, Simple Chore...




Some tasks are so pleasant, it turns a chore to a pleasure.

Watering the flowers in the evening is one of those calming, simple chores that soothes the soul, just as the water from the hose quenches the thirst of each plant.

All of it, unwinding the hose, turning the water on and then soaking each plant, admiring the look of the wet rocks and wonder if a bird will drink from the water left in the dents of the boulder.

Listening,
Being soothed,
Accomplishing something so simple.

The wind chimes play their pleasant music with the softly blowing leaves of the maple tree as backup, the flag flaps crisply in keeping the beat to the wind....



I carefully take down all the hanging plants, line them up on the steps along with the galvanized pails full of ivy, geraniums...admire their progress, smile when I see the empty nest, another year of that mama bird nesting and then raising her young in the asparagus ferns.







My trusty old galvanized pail needs to be filled to go where the hose won't reach to water the deformed pink cosmos growing by the old Centennial Farm sign....


and afterward, we need to water the flowers that sit on the side of the garage...


and stop to admire the moonrise, that shy little moon, hiding behind a cloud...


Good night, moon.



Good night, garden...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joni I can almost hear all the pleasant sounds you described. You REALLY need to write a book you have sooo much literary talent! Sooo peaceful! Sue

Marie said...

Enjoyed reading about your flower watering. Your flowers and yard look great. My husband rides his scooter and does all the watering while I sit on the screen porch and listen to the wind chimes, birds, etc.

KathyB. said...

I see you too have hostas at the foot of your porch, and like you, I have to take my hanging baskets down to water and then enjoy seeing so very quickly the renewal in the plants after watering. Nice post.

Rose said...

What beautiful flowers. I could almost feel the calmness of the evening and the joy of tending the plants while reading your post.

Stacey said...

What a sweet post. I couldn't agree with you more. We do our watering in the early mornings because it's too hot in the evening. The feeling is the same though. :)

Twisted Fencepost said...

Woman, you definitely have a green thumb! Your plants and flowers are beautiful.
Goodnight. tee hee

Kathie Truitt said...

Ah, there for a minute I thought I was in the country. Thanks for the beautiful pictures.

Kay-The Rustic Cottage said...

Thank you for letting me be a part of your evening watering and garden walk. I miss having my garden - the early evening watering was my favorite part too!!!