Monday, August 31, 2009

From Scratch: Buttermilk Brownies!


This is what I had for breakfast this morning with a big glass of milk. OH MY!
Last night we had some friends stopping in that were in Michigan from Georgia.
We had a good visit, I just love it when we get to have company. We had chef''s salad and pizza and for dessert I made homemade buttermilk brownies with easy homemade frosting. I thought I'd share the recipe with you because they were SO GOOD!


BUTTERMILK BROWNIES
1 c. butter or margarine
1/3 c. cocoa
2 c. sifted all purpose flour
2 c. sugar
1 t. soda
1/2 t. salt
2 slightly beaten eggs
(I used three eggs to make a higher brownie)
1/2 c. buttermilk
(make your own by adding a few tablespoons of lemon juice to almost a half cup of milk)
1-1/2 t. vanilla

In a saucepan, combine butter, cocoa, and one cup water. Bring to boil; stir constantly. Remove from heat. In large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, soda, and salt. Stir in eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add cocoa mixture; mix till blended. Pour into greased 15 x 10 x 1 inch pan. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Cool slightly, frost, and cut into squares.

MY FAVORITE QUICK BROWNIE FROSTING
Mix 2/3 c. sugar
3 T. milk
3 T. butter

Bring to boil; boil 30 seconds. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips until melted. Mixture will be thin. Spread over warm or cooled brownies.



11 comments:

From the Old InkWell said...

OMG! I can taste it through the screen!! You are so bad!

Kelly B said...

Seriously, I am going to be SO FAT!! All of these yummy recipes and I LOVE to bake when it cools off. I can't wait to try this one!! :)

Aspiemom said...

Brownies are my weakness. I have a recipe for some that are so heavy and chocolatey and dense and...sinful. I never make it because I couldn't stop eating them!

I can't wait to try your recipe. It looks wonderful! Glad you got a chance to get together with your friends from our wonderful state!

LoriJ said...

I really enjoy your blog. I am definitly going to try these brownies. I tried another one of your recipes you posted a while back....cream puffs I think. ;0) Anyway, they turned out really good. My kids will like the brownies too! Have a blessed day and thanks for sharing on your blog!
Lori

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I am SO hungry for brownies and even tried to make a healthy version! I can't eat something with that much sugar. Maybe I should make some and just have a bite! That would be hard though! lol

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Quilting Bee is Thursday night and this, along with Apple Cake, is what I'm taking...thanks; it looks delicious!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Lookin' good, Joni! Working in that beautiful kitchen has GOT to be a treat!

Ali said...

Wow! These sound so goood! I have a homemade from scratch brownie recipe that we love, but this one sounds awesome too, we will definitely have to give them a try. And who can resist brownies, especially with icing?? MMmmm!

Sue said...

Brownies for breakfast?????
You're my new best friend!!!
:D

Kathie Truitt said...

Brownies for breakfast? You bet! One of the cool things about my Mama is that she always let us eat whatever we wanted for breakfast. That's right. She thought breakfast was so important that it was more important for us to eat - no matter what we ate. I continued that tradition with my kids.

Twisted Fencepost said...

Oh boy, do those look good. I don't think I could have resisted that for breakfast either.