Monday, August 31, 2009

Ktichen Remodel: Preview

Holy Smokes, we're almost done! We started this job on the eighteenth of July. The main construction was over one week later. Then we waited a couple of weeks for the counter top. Once that was done, we thought we were home free....but we soon found out that it's the little details take the most time.

Today I wanted to show you my favorite corner of the kitchen...it's not completely done (curtains, window trim still to do) but I can show you this little section that is finished.

This was one of the issues with our kitchen remodel: little unexpected problems arose, like this microwave shelf for example. It was to go over the stove above the vent hood to hold the microwave. The opening was way, way too small for the microwave, and I don't like small ones, so I knew I'd never have a microwave to fit into the cubby....but, I thought, what a wonderful recipe book shelf it would be!

So we installed it over a base unit that stands beside the pantry so that section of the wall would not be wasted. I can see changing the display on here with the seasons and enjoying seeing all my "pretty" cookbooks (you know, the ones that can be shown! Some cannot!) lined up on display.

One of the other favorite parts about this corner is that it's where I keep my laptop. And that cute little old metal stool? It was a garage sale find for $1, and it's now covered with a spray paint with the "hammered" metal look. I love it!


On top, I put my favorite big bowl, and a "church suppers' cookbook. On top of the pantry, I put one of my favorite fruit crates, a garage sale find! In it I am storing my tablecloths. I think the cookbooks are inspirational when they're out where they can be seen...

I hope to have more pictures of the completed job to show you in a week or so, (I have to get the sewing machine out!). And if you're planning a remodel, especially in an old house, it's best to be adaptable (and always expect it to take LONGER!) because there's always surprises in store...and creative ways of making it all work sometimes have to be worked out. Sometimes your "mistakes" are your favorite parts of the whole project when it's all said and done!

Have a wonderful Monday!
XOXO
Joni

17 comments:

KathyB. said...

You know, I think storage for cook books is highly under valued. I have some beautiful cookbooks and many very useful and well-used cook books but have never deliberately set aside a convenient space for them. Looks like you have!

Sue said...

You're so lucky to have found room for your cookbooks IN the kitchen. Mine are in the next room because my kitchen is so tiny.

Carol Murdock said...

Joni, it's loooking great! My cookbooks are on a bakers rack next to my table and vistors are always pulling them out to browse through. :)

Kelly B said...

How exciting!! I would have so much fun redoing my kitchen!! However, until I get that chance I am going to redo it the much less expensive way... paint. I think it will be fun and it will make it much more attractive until we have the time and money to completely remodel. I love your idea for the cookbooks! I need an area like that in my kitchen... I have so many and I use them all the time!! I can't wait to see your pictures!! :)

Twisted Fencepost said...

So far, I think you have done a wonderful job. Even if things don't fit where they're supposed to. I would have put my recipe books there also.
I have a peach crate just like that one, but it's being used for CD's. I need to find somewhere else to put those CD's.

jamie said...

Your kitchen looks great! I love the backsplash and glass knobs!. And I love cookbooks on display! You are so right about the small details taking up so much time. We just finished our kitchen remodel and the small things took forever!
I look forward to seeing the rest of your kitchen!

Dee said...

Joni...Everything is coming togther nicely. I love your little cook book niche, what a great idea! We also have the "tin" backsplash and I love it, it cleans up so easily. I really love that you have it open above your cabinets for display I have a soffit in most of my kitchen and only a tiny part that I can display anything, love that look. Some things are def. worth the wait. I can't wait to see the rest!

Ali said...

Your kitchen looks wonderful, I can't wait to see the rest! I love the tin tiles on the wall, I found some cheap ones online that I thought I might try out, maybe behind my sink...we'll see! I like how you worked out your microwave problem and used the shelf for your cookbooks, it looks great! And are those blue knobs on the pantry doors? So cute!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How nice to have a place to display your things! Love your big bowl! I love bowls and would be over the moon to find a blue one! WOW!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Your re-do is looking pretty darn beautiful! Bet you're ready to have it all finished; I know I'm ready but not sure how much longer for us. Dave said he'd call this week and ask when/why the carpenters were coming back. Please, Lord, let it be SOON.

Melinda said...

Hi Joni--

Neat redo-love the cookbook shelf and the candy jars. They are so cheerful looking.

Melinda

Donna said...

wow oh wow! That sure is looking good!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Oh yeah! THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Cookbooks right out in the open! I love the Farm Chicks cookbook...I don't own it, but i did get to borrow it from the library!
Hubby has done a wonderful job...bet you can't wait till it is completely finished!

Vicki's Bit-o-earth said...

Its looking great Joni! I love the open shelf for cookbooks. Aren't cookbooks beautiful!? They look lovely all together in that cubby. Mine are hidden in a cupboard and I usually forget about them. I'll have to remember your shelf when I have the chance to remodel.

Mary said...

It all looks so good! Do you have a remnant of the blacksplash left? It would look great cut to size and standing behind your cookbooks. You're right, the hardest part is the finish work, which we don't usually get finished for a few YEARS! I'm tired of laughiing out loud, so I won't say LOL!

Unknown said...

Your kitchen is looking great! Love all the cobalt blue! Also, I'm copying that brownie recipe..it's looks so good! ;D

Kathleen Grace said...

I think your new kitchen is gorgeous! I love the pressed tim i'm seeing on the backsplash. I cant wait to see the whole thing done (and I bet you cant either!)