Saturday, August 29, 2009

OLD GAS: Had a BLAST!

This old beauty was marked $3,200. How I would LOVE to have it!


Mid-Michigan Old Gas Tractor Show & Pull
& Flea Market
& Chicken Dinners
& Midway
& Fun, Fun, Fun!
Oakley, MI
We went to the show and pull last Sunday morning, as is our tradition, and this year it was just he and I, a rare day out, just us, together. We enjoyed every minute of it. Back home we came to a busy week, full of surprises, some good, some not.

The morning was gray and drizzly but the closer we got to the showgrounds, the drizzle cleared off and it wasn't a bad day overall. (This weekend is just as gray and rainy!) I got to smell some tractor exhaust, and all the yummy food on the midway, it was worth it.

I wanted to post some photos to show you~I have lots of video of tractors pulling but I thought I might bore you with all that. I have to say, that I prefer the sound of a Farmall hands down over the sound of a John Deere. John Deere goes pop, pop, pop....and I prefer the fuller sound of the Farmalls. For the day, Farmalls came out on top in all the pulls we watched.

I'm off to say hello to a whole bunch of tomatoes, I think they may become another batch of salsa.

XOXO
Joni

An artist working in the sale barn, loved his work!

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

I couldn't resist showing you this pink Farmall, it seems a travesty, but then some guy could have done it for his wife who was a breast cancer survivor. (Hey, get a load of the way that guy is giving me the evil eye/death glare as I'm snapping this shot!)


Little, big, bright and shiny, or dirty and worn, they're all here. It's their weekend and they all have their chance to shine!


I just had to snap a picture of this cute little guy, he hopped up on that seat and started pretending to drive, making his tractor sound....


This big old steam engine tractor was giving rides that day. And it had a whistle like an old train engine. It was really something to see the ruts this machine left behind in the dirt! AMAZING old piece of history and it's still moving!



I like to watch the old timers and think about what might be going on in their heads as they watch all the tractors pulling. I think about the memories they've got stored from days gone by and the excitement they felt as they drove their own tractors over the years. On this day, you see a whole lot of work boots, and a whole lot of jeans and hands that have worked hard and realize that THESE are the people that built this country and that those that run this country are too far removed from the real world and that the connection with the dirt is what might be missing. I'd like to see an arrogant, pampered politician try to stand in this arena where these tractors pull and try to sell their latest load of bull to good, hard-working Americans like this.

Isn't this little grandma cute?

I thought the paint job on this one was exceptional....click on any photo to enlarge!




This fella had to back out because his machine stalled and they couldn't get it cranked again. He finally did get it back into the pulls at the very end. Don't you like his "weights"?!?



What a pretty Oliver!








This was like the tractor we had at home...lots of good memories with that riding on or behind it on an old car hood in the snow!

Waiting in line for the famous chicken dinners they serve there.


Cooked outdoors on a huge grill with a large crew of men basting and turning them, they are half-birds, deliciously charred! Mmmmm....


Now we're talkin'!


A cute little girl in a little red wagon.


While we ate, we watched the women in a log-sawing contest. They used old two-man saws and they were lots of fun to watch!



I love this old road-grader, it reminds me of the ones used to make our road when I was a little girl.

Old steel wheeled Farmall!


The steam-powered sawmill, chugging along!



I hope you enjoyed seeing all the tractors, and if you have a chance, go to one of these shows and appreciate the machine that replaced the draft horse in all its forms!

This is what I brought home; I found it in the "quilt" barn (and what's wrong with me, I should have taken pictures!!?!) and it's the perfect rag rug for my kitchen, don'tcha think?

11 comments:

KathyB. said...

No pictures from the quilt barn? I love the pink tractor, maybe the farm gal that owns it is a Mary Kay Lady....and you're right, that guy is glaring at you.

My Hubby said we should drive on over and snap up that truck for sale!

Love the tractors, and all that goes along with them, namely, the good and decent, hard working Americans.

joyh82 said...

Looks like a great time! The foods looks awesome. Glad you had a good time.

blushing rose said...

Pink tractor?!? Fan-PINK-ulous!! Your pics are super ... love that truck, tho. Looks like a lot of fun & good food. Have a great weekend. TTFN ~ Marydon

Bloggin bout my Boys said...

Your killin' me Joni!! The truck is too sweet and that chicken looked too yummy! My sister would wrestle me for that rag rug haha!! Looks like alot of fun!! Sue

Donna said...

Fun photos Girl!! And I don't Think a representative would come NEAR the place these days!Hahaaa...and YES!! Maybe the guy was out there with his Honey instead of his wife...What a Look!!!Hahaaa...hughugs

English Cottage in Georgia said...

Joni, Wow! My love of all things vintage runs deep in my veins. Little did I realize I could be enamoured with old tractors. Love this post.
AND I am so in love with your new, old kitchen. The kitchen transformation is amazing.

Twisted Fencepost said...

I haven't been to a tractor pull in years. I need to keep an eye out for the next one. You have made me miss them.
Love the old Ford truck, too.
And yes, I think the rug is a perfect addition to your kitchen!

Donna said...

Love those old tractors! When we were on a vacation in Wisconsin, years ago, we happened to find a tractor pull. It was great fun. And your rag rug is super!

Anonymous said...

Hey!
'Em Farmall's er the best, n' don't let ONYONE tell ya ony differnt. Guess who?? Our brothers and Dad loved the Farmhall's and I got to see the oldest brother Sunday with grease on his hands and a twinkle in his eyes after finding a tool he'd been wanting for years and buying a great Farmhall "trater". And you're right about the politicians with soft hands who wouldn't know what transmission fluid smelled like. I'd like to see a reality show with them on it during their August "recess" at work on a farm, ranch, logging operation, sewage treatment plant, nursing home, etc. Hey: I think I'll e-mail O'Rielly. Maybe Fox can produce the show!

Kathleen Grace said...

Gosh but I love those old trucks and tractors! I couldnt care less what anyone drives, but my dream is a really old truck of my very own:>) Having grown up on my grandpas farm I adore old tractors too. He had an old Ford tractor that I used to ride on and I had so many good times on that farm. I'll have to look up where Oakley is, do they do this every year?

Shari from Big Yellow Farmhouse said...

Thanks for sharing these pictures - looks like so much fun! My husband would just love to have that old red and white Ford pickup! We went to the Midwest Old Settlers and Threshers Reunion in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa this weekend - as we do every year. Old tractors, steam engines, cars, steam trains, good country and gospel music - a great fun, family event. I think you and I like many of the same things!!