Tuesday, December 22, 2009

It's Christmas in the Kitchen

It's Christmas in the kitchen
All is calm....all is bright.





That is, until it's time to start the Sugar Cookie Marathon Day. No other Christmas goodies compare to the mess that making sugar cookies becomes!

It's not Christmas without them...


And the dogs know when I'm mixing something up it's time to watch...and wait. For something yummy is bound to accidentally hit the floor.


Soooo alert. So watchful are they. See the flour on the little guy's head?! Ha!



Oh...what fun it is to clean up after flour and cookie dough!



And this is my first Christmas with a Kitchen Aid...and lo! The angels sang and much frosting was able to be whipped up without my right arm falling off from holding the hand mixer! Hallelujah!



(I always use butter and almond flavoring in my frosting. Santa is watching over them for me.)


Like an artist's pallette...




Holly leaves...


And Santa toes...


Pink and blue gingerbread children...
(Which makes me wonder: will my little grandchild-to-be need to wear pink or blue?!? I will know SOON!!!! YAY!!!)




(I always wonder how they get these little nonpareils to be so perfectly round and so beautifully colored....such little wonders these are! They have a lot of static cling and I always wonder if the people who work in the factory find them all over themselves when they go home at night?! These are the earth-shattering questions I come up with while I'm baking.)



Their patience pays off...when it's all said and done, we split a cookie. We don't feed our dogs much people food but they can't stop themselves from begging anyway, and who can resist those big, brown, begging eyes?


"Please, mama, may I have another?!"


Oh, yes...
And a hug too!


MERRY CHRISTmas from all of us to YOU!!!!

16 comments:

Sue said...

Merry, merry Christmas to all of you in your beautiful farm house!
Sue

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

I love baking cookies! Yours look great...stop on over to my blog and see what I baked.

Merry Christmas :)

lillie mae acres said...

I enjoyed this post and love your kitchen. We'll be making our sugar cookies today or tomorrow and making a big yummy mess. Merry Christmas and God bless you and your home.

Donna said...

If I was as cute as those pooches, I would be giving you those pitiful "feed me" looks too! Happy cookie baking!

Bloggin bout my Boys said...

Good to see that Luke is up and doing his Emeril bit in the kitchen too!! Dogs are born with the instinct to smell fire, danger and CHRISTmas goodies!!!! Blessed Christmas my sweet friend,Sue

sherry said...

Mmmmmm! I can imagine the aroma your kitchen oven brought forth!

jAne * tickleberry farm

Lara said...

I really enjoyed this entry and it warmed my heart! ♥ Your dachshund baby is so cute. Your cookie baking photos are fun. Enjoy that K.A. mixer; I still don't have one yet...hopefully in the next couple years. I've always liked the Martha Stewart-like robin's egg blue colored one, but I'll probably go with a practical red or white one! Merry Christmas! :o)
Lara

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Oh Joni, you have made me wanting C@@kies now!!! GREAT pictures! I am going to make dem Rolo thingy ones today! Thanks for da recipe!

Merry CHRISTmas darling Joni!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Unknown said...

Joni, did you save any for me?!? Chuckle!

What a fun time ... the Rolo ones are fabulous. Another one is Phyllo's with a peanut butter cup in it ... to die for.

May your holiday season be blessed & beautiful ~
Merry Christmas ~
TTFN ~ Marydon

Julie Harward said...

HI THERE... I really like your blog and would like to follow you here..I too have been in the kitchen non stop but am now ready for Christmas. The farm house I grew up in looks so much like your home..just beautiful! Come say hi :D

Barbara Pask said...

You have the sweetest blog. Merry Christmas to you! :)

Brooke said...

Yay for Christmas cookies!!! They looked yummy! I made mine at moms house last weekend. Ugh...by the time it was ready to decorate everyone left the kitchen and I was stuck doing them ALL by myself!!! ha ha! I love the pics of your dogs. I love that they were so patient waiting for the moment when mom would give them a taste! lol

Libby Buttons said...

Sp very happy to have found your blogs!
Holiday blessings now and throughout the New Year!
smiLes
LiBBy BuTTons

Gena said...

Your cookies look delicious! And those sweet doggies? We have a couple that beg all the time, especially when we are baking. Their patience pays off as well, but they don't get much - one of them is on a diet!

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas filled with love.

Gena said...

P.S. I meant to tell you how much I love the pictures of your home in the snow! I so wish we could get more snow down here. It just doesn't happen very often.

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

I enjoyed following you as you made cookies. Looks like much fun! And yes, who can resist those adorable puppy eyes? Too cute! Thanks for sharing!