Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sunshine Sheets


It's that time of year again,
when I torture you,
my captive audience,
with my photos of sheets
flappin' in the wind
against the blue spring skies
and freshly born leaves
on the awakening trees.


As I was taking these, my husband walked up on me and said:
"Are you totally whacked?!"
(Whacked means downright crazy according to him.)
"Well, yes, yes I am!"


He would even think it was weirder yet
if he knew what I was thinking
as I lay on the ground to get this shot.

But do you?

Would you think I was strange
if I told you that I've always secretly wanted to ...



Choose a sunny, yet cool spring day that is breezy...
Lay a soft and cozy quilt underneath the laundry lines
loaded with FRESHLY WASHED SHEETS,
and just lay my head on a pillow,
cover up,
close my eyes,
and take a nap
and camp out
underneath the flapping fabric
and stay there until they were all dry?

Something about the sound of it seems to be so soothing,
such a lullaby of its own,
that I've wished at times
I was little teensy and could lay in the fold of the sheet
and use it for my giant hammock
as it gently blew in the wind.
That I would be rocked to sleep by the motion.

But to sleep underneath the lines
on the fresh spring green grass
and listen to the


"flap
flap
flap
flutter
(still...)
flap
(still...)
flap
flap
flutter
flutter"
...

would

be

so

dreamy!



Line dried sheets
are a pleasure

reserved for
only those willing
to go to the trouble.


(We are greatly rewarded for our efforts.)

And...

A little story that will make you smile, it's so sweet!


I know someone that is six feet four inches tall
A manly man who has gone on a drive through Iraq
in gigantic Bradley tank wrecker
with his Army battalion and
is a mechanic who now that's he's home again
works on logging equipment
and lifts wrenches the length of a shovel
only many, many, many tens of pounds heavier
every single day.

You would never guess it,
but...
he loves to have his sheets dried on the line
and he invented a term for the heavenly smell
he lays on that night
when he pulls back the covers
and goes to bed

and I think it's the dearest thing
to know that a big, burly, manly man
calls them

"SUNSHINE
SHEETS"!



It's a term I'm going to borrow and it makes me SMILE.

So, do you like
SUNSHINE SHEETS?



15 comments:

Patty said...

Yes, I do love "Sunshine Sheets"! There is nothing better than to climb into bed with fresh sheets. I loved this post and your blog.
Have a wonderful day!

Donna said...

Love the term - Sunshine Sheets! I remember the smell WAY back in the corners of my mind, when mom used to hang the laundry out to dry. (Well actually, us kids hung them and took them down, per her orders. LOL.)

Great perspective shot! Wish I could get down on the ground and do those kind of shots, but I'd never be able to get back up.

Faith said...

LOVING this post....Ah yes I too am sunshine sheet gal...Your pictures are beautiful, and peaceful. Flap, Flutter, ahh...! I'm imagining myself lying on the ground, with the camera...that is a nice shot..but I too..would have to call wrecker in to get me up.So thank you for taking that picture.
Lovely, thought provoking, post...

Jeanette said...

I love the smell of sunshine sheets. It's been way too long since I have smelled them, too!

Bloggin bout my Boys said...

What a neat imagination...to lie in the folds for a hammock!! You need to write a children's book on some of these things!! There isn't a dryer sheet made that mimics the fresh smell from them dryin' out in the breeze. Kinda like the smell of fresh snow,it is a state of mind! I wish I could see Lem's face somtimes when you are getting in these "poses" for taking special shots! You guys crack me up!!

~katie~ said...

I can just smell the *sunshined* fresh linens now!! What a cute post!

Hollace said...

I loved your post and your idea for a heavenly nap under the sheets (as long as they're not dripping).

★Carol★ said...

There is absolutely nothing like the scent of Sunshine Sheets! And you took such wonderful pictures of yours! I wish I could have my own, but I have a small backyard, and it's in the flight path of birds going from the feeders to the birdbath, and I'm sure there would be many unwelcome droppings in between!

morninglorycottage said...

Love line dried sheets. Did mine just the other day. Also loved your post on the bridal shower. Too fun! Have a great day.

jamjar said...

I do...Doc doesn't...he's so weird!

Lori said...

There is nothing more soothing than to crawl in bed at night onto sheets that have been dried outside on the line. I, too, am a clothesline queen. :)

Meadowbrook Cabin Primitives said...

A simple thank you for such a lovely post !

Perfectly said.

Hugs,
Linda

mary your sis said...

Awww; I love it that *someone* came up with the term sunshine sheets! I'm sure after catching a short nap on top of a Bradley tank each night it is pure joy to be able to crawl between the sunshine sheets each night, stateside! What a sweet story; I can't wait to get a long overdue clothesline hung outside in my yard. Right now though, if I hung sheets to dry, they would come inside with a green film from all the pollen in the air. Still, I want to get some sheets on the line, TSTB!

polka dot lady said...

I love line dryed sheets!! It was raining here in PA yesterday and today I had to tackle the long grass all that rain brought shooting up, but tomorrow....I'll have my sheets a flappin' in the breeze too!! Thanks for your blog!

Rosemary said...

You've made me homesick. I loved summers in Wisconsin on the farm. Crawling into bed and smelling "Sunshine Sheets", was lifes simplest pleasures. Topping off the experience was hearing the whippoorwills through my open window. Thanks for the beautiful memory.