Saturday, September 13, 2008

Salsa recipe...for those who'd like it!

Saturday, I was thankful to get 24 quarts and 14 pints of salsa put up !



Here's the recipe for those of you who requested it, it's a lot of work, but tastes so good, you'll never want the salsa off the grocery store shelves, ever again! I make a batch of zippy salsa, and a batch of mild each year just so everyone's happy.

If you want more zip, leave the ribs and the seeds or half the seeds in the hot peppers, if you want mild, remove them all. If you want to spice a mild salsa up once it's canned, just get out the hot pepper flakes and sprinkle them over your bowl of salsa!
Here's the ingredients, I don't worry about yields or specific amounts necessarily, I just keep washing jars if I need to. I taste as I go and add what I think it needs, I'm weird like that....I also put any and all kinds of peppers (red and yellow look really great in the salsa) into this and TONS of onions, all chunky...take all the amounts in the recipe below for a GUIDE.

Also, one more thing to make your job easier: a Vidalia chopper (found at Bed, Bath & Beyond) with the wider cut chopping insert makes this job a whole lot easier! The onions and peppers come out in perfect squares and your salsa looks like a pro made it, but either way, it's gonna be good!



HOMEMADE CANNED SALSA
First, core, scald, peel and quarter and/or chop your tomatoes. Get the jars and rings ready and all your other canning stuff, like your big pots, the funnel, lid lifter, etc.


10 c. chopped tomatoes

3 c. chopped onions

1 c. chopped green peppers

3 cloves garlic, minced (I used the jar of minced garlic)

1/2 c. chopped cilantro (found this time of year near the fresh parsley in the produce department, you can of course, leave this out but I love it!)

1-1/3 c. red wine vinegar

1 can tomato paste, or more, if you want your salsa thicker

1 t. cumin (optional)

1 T. red pepper flakes

3 T. pickling salt

3 T. brown sugar


Simmer all ingredients for one hour or more, and stir in 1/3 c. cornstarch diluted in cold water if more thickening is needed.


(I don't do the cornstarch, I don't like the taste, so I just add more tomato paste.) Ladle into hot jars and seal. If you have a little leftover, or a bit more salsa than jars, it refrigerates well. ENJOY!
OFFICIAL FARMHOUSE FOOD!

No comments: