Wednesday, February 6, 2013

All Things Bright & Beautiful: Vintage Quilt







I have happy place in my house I like to go to sometimes when I need a nap, or when I'm feeling down.





There are happy faces everywhere...








There's a friendly little gal that sits on the bed.
It's our vintage toy guest room.







In that room are little reminders from childhood, 
when peanut butter came in tin buckets with handles.







There are little creatures with winsome eyes...







And now...









I finally have found the vintage quilt I've been watching for ... 
for quite a few years.  AMAZING, because it's just what 
I've wanted, in the right colors and at a decent price.







And I found this one with all the right colors... 
in the double wedding ring pattern.







It matches all the toys...and it matches the bed, too.








There's enough of the apple green in it that matches the bed...














And all those lovely intersections that make me woozy...
and if I was a little kid, 
my Matchbox cars would be going in circles all over the place.










Isn't it perfect?!  







All hand pieced and hand-quilted, in perfect condition, 
just a bit of yellowing on the muslin from age.







I love the border pieces with the tiny squares.








There are so many different quilting patterns 
that you can see on the back.







Making this red-gingham room an even sunnier place...

And we have had such a run of cloudy days, 
and I found a puddle of sunshine, 
so I laid on the floor in it curled up like a kitty cat, 
but I was snuggled under a quilt as the sun shined on my face.  And as the sun moved, I moved with it..








And as Uncle Si on Duck Dynasty says...
 I was ... "Happy, happy, happy!"





12 comments:

Mary Ann Potter said...

Joni, this made me smile all over the place! My son, now 40 with a child of his own, had these Fisher Price toys; we still have some of them stored in our attic. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. A true touch of happiness on this February afternoon. Have a blessed one!

Unknown said...

Wonderful quilt, Joni! And, I love all the pictures. Especially, the farmhouse in the snow with the Christmas garland! What beauty you have created there in your home!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet and special room! Your granddaughter will love it as she gets older!

Bonnie said...

Beautiful quilt and thanks for the trip down memory lane. Like Mary Ann, my son is 37 and had many of these toys. I've pulled them out over the years for my nieces and nephews to play with.

lil red hen said...

Oh yes! The quilt is beautiful! And I love all the toys because I have several like them. We kept the girls' toys and when grandchildren came along we pulled them out of storage and they brought more happiness. In the first photo of the Fisher Price "little people" I was always the woman in the yellow dress with the white hair -- Mama Charlotte.

Carissa said...

Love the quilt, I remember playing with the little people toys as a kid. complete with the barn.

Brenda S Okie in Colorado said...

Congratulations Joni on finding the quilt you've been looking for. I have two from my precious Granny, who is now in Heaven. Double wedding ring has always been my very favorite quilt pattern. Great photos. As always, enjoyed your posts today.

Julie Hinds said...

I love the quilt Joni! Funny thing is it is so similar in style and color to the one I got in Millington in Nov! Mine is also a white background, and the backing is white with tons of quilting seen on the back. Mine also has lots of gingham and old flour sack fabrics, and also hand done completely! I will try to post a picture for you. Well, I should say Hannah will, I'm still not good at it! It looks so cute in the room and matches the bed perfectly, wasn't it so fun to find that one you've been looking for!

Amber said...

I LOVE that quilt! What a great find!

Echoes From the Hill said...

Love those old Fisher Price toys! My grown kids had some of them, and I wish I had kept them for my grandchildren. I have a room for my grandchildren, too, with lots of toys, many garage sale finds.
The old green bed, that you have that gorgeous quilt on, appears to be just like two that were left in an old, run down house we owned. I gave the beds to my daughter for her boys. I painted ours burgundy, and they are special.

Those Fisher Price "little people" bring back lots of memories, too. They never seemed to stay with their "homes".

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

nancyr

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

What a fun room and I love your quilt. The old toys are great. Fisher Price toys are so fun and they still make them. I bought my granddaughter a phone a few years ago and she loved it. It's the one with the rotary dial on it! I couldn't get her to let go of it at Christmas. I think I gave it to her for her birthday or 2nd Christmas. it was one of those finds you couldn't pass up. Not second hand either. Had to have it for her!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

yes, that quilt is perfect and beautiful!