Friday, October 9, 2009

October Snow!



October 12, 2006




This weekend, Michigan is supposed to see its first snow of the season. We are behind a couple of other states: like Nevada...whose resorts are opening earlier than EVER, and out in Colorado, they've had early ski area openings, and in Idaho, they had a record-breaking early snowfall!

Three years ago, on October 12 I took this picture when my son and I made it home in a very, very slippery snowstorm from his karate class. Goodness, the leaves had barely turned from green to gold when this happened, my hanging baskets were still green and gorgeous, and all my pumpkins were freezin' little orange orbs covered in beautiful white snow!

It was a pleasant surprise, and a reminder to get the sandbags in the trunk! It was also helpful in getting me going a little earlier than usual on Christmas shopping and in the mood for the holidays. It's always exciting for the first snow, but never expected in the beginning of October...

(Psstt...someone, please let Al Gore, Barack and the true greenie believers in Congress know that the Earth has lost its temp and is on a cooling trend once again BEFORE they try to pass "Crap & Trade" again.)

13 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

They cancelled the snow forecast for Mon/Tues for us...Waa.

Sue said...

I'm glad you like snow too. I don't know how folks get in the mood for Christmas with NO snow!!
Hope it sticks around for a little bit!

Holly said...

It is snowing outside and we've already had six inches this week. firmly planting Christmas carols in my head. I do love snow and the first one is extra special. But wait, I need fall so we can get our hay brought into the shed and our wood cut and hauled from the woods to the stack behind the house. Then let it snow and I'll sing and sew my way to Christmas.

Jena Williams, Not So Shabby Interiors said...

Oh, how beautiful...I really would love to get snow this winter!! You have such a beautiful home!!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

We've just had our first frost and it's very welcome. Today it was back up in the 70's and h.o.t.
As to KingO, isn't he in Norway accepting his Nobel Peace Prize?
Gosh, I'm surprised I don't have whiplash what with all the eye rolls I've been doing -grin-.

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

My parents in Toledo are expecting snow, too! My mother ain't a happy camper :)
Beautiful pic!!
Misha

Rue said...

hehehehe... loved the Al Gore comment ;)

I think we may just have a white Christmas... yay!!!!

xoxo,
rue

Mary your sis said...

Up in the northwoods, all the Amish farmers look forward to the first snows so they can make ice cream. Our good friend Gareth grew up making ice cream using snow instead of crushed ice to freeze it, so ice cream wasn't a summer treat for him. I think if we get much snow this weekend I might just call Algore and invite him up for a tasty, cold weather scoop. Anybody got Al's phone number? Tee hee!

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

My son is so excited - he thinks he is going to get to build a snowman (or as he says, "bonhomme de neige")
I on the other hand might cry.

Al Gore is a moron.

Kathleen Grace said...

Nooooo! I'm not ready for snow! I want Autumn, I want Indian summer! I want a couple more weeks of above freezing temps so I can get the last green beans out of the garden! Clearly Al Gore is misinformed. And to think he got the Nobel prize for his stupid movie....Hmmm, I see a trend with the Nobel prize people and their ideas of who deserves the award.

Bloggin bout my Boys said...

Beautiful picture but need AL GORE forced to make a snow angel in it heehee!!! His #: 1-800-ALL CRAP!! Sorry I think that's actually BO's...grin.

Heather Lee said...

I can't seem to wrap my mind around snow yet...thinking..thinking..thinking...yep that hurt. I need a color fix first!

Dee said...

I am not quite ready for the snow season yet, but had to comment on your BEAUTIFUL farmhouse sitting there in all it's glory! Love it, Love it. I especailly love that it is the real deal! TFS....have a good weekend and enjoy your possible snow!