Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Catching Up: Domestic Tranquility?



Somewhere along the line, I forgot to teach my little girl that she couldn't grow up and move more than two hours away from me.  She lives at least eleven hours away; if the traffic is good.


Now that trail from our house to hers is well-worn.  It makes life a little crazy at times--far from tranquil!   I'm gone more now than I ever have been in my life!  Especially with new grand babies being born! 


It's joyful, exciting and more than a little bit busy, and today,  I'm sort of strung out from the trip, I've been gone from home 11 days, was on the road twelve hours and a half yesterday and will leave again in six or seven weeks to go back for Levi's Lil' Sis to be born--and to help out for a few weeks after she comes home.


In the meantime, I've got lots of catching up to do...with you, my friends.





We got started on Lil' Sister's room...a vintage baby nursery...and I have some sewing to do while I'm home, I brought home some measurements to make some accessories for her bed and her room, so she can be completely outfitted in her sweet little nest.  


Jamie and Luke painted like crazy while we were there.  We got the nursery set up, but it's not all done yet.  (I'll show you that nursery when it's finished...at the beginning of October.)


In the more immediate future, I also have MILLIONS of tomatoes to can, and an almost-sixteen-year-old to finish getting ready for school:  you know, all the usual-- hair cut, new shoes and jeans and some shirts.  


Some of this we did quickly while we were in Alabama--but will have to finish up in the next couple days because the TOMATOES WON'T WAIT much longer!  Ha!





My mind is just swimming and I'm still a little dizzy from riding so long in the car, but I wanted to say hello and catch up a minute--and tell you that to start, I'll "wrap up" my series from Autumn's Vintage Baby Shower, and then will have more fun stuff to share, some of it from my time in Alabama.






I wanted not only to say HELLO, but to ask you what you've been up to lately?  Is summer all wrapped up and are you peeking around the corner at a cool, crisp fall with a little smile on your face?  


Are you remembering corduroy jumpers, new Mary Janes squeaking under your feet, new Crayolas and sharpened pencils, pigtails, and chalkboards with a Dick and Jane reader on your freshly-shined desk?  

5 comments:

Susan said...

Here in Georgia we are still in full summer mode. 90's in the daytime and low 80's to high 70's at night. We are indeed looking forward to some night time porch sitting. Our fall festival is the last of Sept. and I am looking forward to the cooler days and fall colors that is present at that time. Love your blog. Keep up the news. I love it all.
Susan

Pam said...

I understand exactly what you are going through. My daughters live 12 hours away and my oldest is about to give birth to our first grandchild. I'm over the moon excited except not happy about living so far away. I will be beating a path to her home quite often I'm sure. Why do we have to live so far apart? I want to be there for everything.

Joy said...

What I'm thinking is that I'm glad you and your daughter get along well enough that she wants you to stay and help with the new baby! My daughter is 12 hours away also, I end having to take 2 days to make the trip, just can't stand the long drive anymore. I hear ya with the tomatoes, that's what I've been up to--making salsa and freezing tomatoes. That produce seems to come like an avalanche! Congrats on the new G baby soon to come. I bet the nursery is darling. Can't wait to see the pics.

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

My garden didn't produce much at all this year. This summer found me going to the rodeo on July 4th with hubby, spending time with granddaughter and taking her to see great grandma, going to a church picnic, doing photography for the Firehouse cookoff, visiting a lavender field and visiting the zoo with family and watching graddau again so mom and dad with baby bro in stroller could enjoy time together. Company picnic there so good food and the last thing for the summer. Summer in OR isn't really hot this year. Was 69 degrees today. Loving the fact my son, wife and children are half hour drive from us but don't always see them, only once a month. But so fun and glad you can enjoy your kids even tho aways. I love you mugs or cups. So pretty. Oh yeah, staying busy at the hardware store, sometimes selling alot of paint.

aimee said...

I forgot to teach my kids that same 'rule'. They both live several states away along with my grandchildren:(
I can't believe how time flies--seems like just yesterday that you were announcing your daughter was pregnant again and now it is almost time to welcome a new little one into the world:)
Blessings,
Aimee