Monday, May 16, 2011

Small Town Charm: Holland, Michigan



Last week, my sister came with her daughter, and we three went on a little road trip--a one-day adventure; sailing across the ribbon of silvery interstate, on a gorgeous spring day that was sparkling with bright blue skies and green, velvety grass, colorful blooms on the trees and everywhere.


Where did we go?  To a haven that showcases spring like no other.


To a magical little town near the western shore of the peninsula that is Michigan; two and a half hours due west of my home..."Tulip Town", as it's called.







There was a little municipal parking lot that we pulled into, and we got out and grabbed our cameras...and I was snappin' before we ever left the parking lot.  Why? 


 My niece, Katie, is quite a photographer herself, isn't she adorable?


Small town America at her best...






I thought I'd start my series on Holland out with this sweet little cottage...





Knowing you'd appreciate this tiny little cottage, too.




Isn't she a beauty?







A tiny, petite little charmer, with plenty of attention to detail--from her homemade picket fence, to her shutters and all the plantings around her.









I have more, much more, to show you and hope that my photos and story might lure you to this town in the spring, soon, to enjoy the magic of spring's best:  tulips.




So come back and see me!  






I'll be back soon with more of Holland, Michigan, a jewel that just sparkles in Michigan...

11 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Sheesh...and it's literally about 30 minutes from me! We have gone in the summer and it is just beautiful! The sparkly waters of Lake Michigan and the darling cottages dotting the shore draw us in....

Our Country Bungalow said...

I haven't been over to Holland in ages. Maybe we'll check it out soon! Great pictures!
~cathy

birdie blue said...

love holland. when we used to live in east grand rapids, we'd visit friends there all of the time.

thanks for the fun memories.
xo
~molly

Mitzi said...

I live near Holland. Even recognized some of your home photos. Isn't it just beautiful there? The streets with rows and rows of tulips and flowering trees are just magnificent! Glad you were able to visit.

Kori Vincent "Painting Primitives" said...

I lived in Michigan for eight years. It is a breath taking state. I have never made it to Holland but, I have several fond memories of Lapeer, Frankenmuth and Tawas. Have you heard of any of those? You take beautiful crisp clear pictures and your words paint them perfectly. Thanks for sharing.

Brenda Evans said...

What wonderful photos - beautiful tulips - can't wait to see more!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Prims By The Water said...

We live on the East side of Michigan, Clay Michigan to be exact, and visited Holland a few years back. It was a charming little town and we enjoyed it very much. Michigan has so much to offer! In Marine City, where our antique store is, this quaint riverside town has many victorian homes. Loved your pics!. Take care, Janice

Donna said...

What a lovely jaunt! After a really hard winter, I'm glad that you took that treat of a trip!

Kathie Truitt said...

Oh, I LOVE the yellow cottage. My dream home. You know I once visited this beautiful little town. Yes, I was there when I was about 20 years old when the tulips were in full bloom. Such a beautiful place. Thanks for 'taking me back.'

mary your sis said...

OOOOOOHHH! I love looking at well kept older homes on small town streets and the cheerful yellow cottage was a favorite: which is saying a lot! They were all adorable. I can imagine dull grey winters are much less dull in Holland!