Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Happy Hen


She lives on the dining room table...

this little old hen,





with Grandpa Levi's kerosene lamp,

and a chippy green silverware tray...







and some garage sale silverware...




can't explain it,

but

..something about this little tableau makes me

extremely happy...



Cluck, cluck!

(By the way, I once had a nice flock of almost a dozen chickens, and I really miss them, because, truly, they say alot more than "cluck"...way more. I enjoyed talking to the girls. I think next spring, we might take the plunge and open up the chicken coop once again and buy some little chicks.

I miss having them around, especially at canning time when they would be so thrilled when I brought them tomato cores and peelings, and apple peels, anything at all. So, until next year my little chickens placed around the house will have to do!)

6 comments:

Cheyenne said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that lamp!!

Cher' Shots said...

I love it! My kitchen is what I call country/tuscan combo. lol

Meadowbrook Cabin Primitives said...

Simply perfect display !

Years ago, my Grandmother ( down on the farm ) kept a canning jar filled with spoons on the kitchen table. I can also remember her delicious canned link sausage in lard. The best sausage I have ever eaten. And she lived to be 94

Hugs,
Linda

Kerin said...

Who doesn't love a happy hen ?!!
She adds a sweet farm touch to the table :)

gail said...

she is very pretty and looks right at home on that table!
This is the 2nd chicken related comment I'm making in a row.
I think I'll have chicken tonight!
gail
adventuresininnkeeping.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

My father grew chickens in Oregon. Brings back alot of memories. I've even wrote a story called--"Everything I learned in life I learned from a chicken." Mom even had "Chicken Curtains" in the kitchen! I especially love your lamp.