Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Know When To Fold 'Em...


So, what do you do when the cold north winds blow?

And your original farmhouse entry doors have a slight "crack" in between them?

Nuttin' to do but what grandpa might have done.

Fold newspapers, fill cracks. Temporary crack filler.  

Yup.

That's how we roll in the old farmhouse.  

Some things just can't be perfected.  (It's either that or lose the original entry doors!)


Recently, on a spring-like weekend, I removed these bad boys while I was cleaning.  I regretted it, because they were needed these past few weeks!  I think by doing this, I jinxed spring's arrival in Michigan.  It's all my fault!

Sometime, I'll have to, pardon the pun, "fill you in" on how at home growing up, we locked our door with a butter knife; instead of a lock. Now that was real innovation!  It was always amusing to our guests!


7 comments:

Angela said...

Love the character of old doors. Nothing wrong with "back to basics." We could all make do lots more than we do if Lowes, Home Depot, etc. was not around every corner. Have a blessed day.

Unknown said...

I'll have to remember that trick next winter, we got doors with a crack too! lol

HoneySage said...

I use plastic grocery bags. I position them in the cracks with a butter knife and no more drafts across my toes. By the way, I love your shutters.

Sabrina @Falling Leaf Woodworkers and Primitives said...

LOL!!! we used the butter knife to lock the door too when I was a kid...I live in the house I grew up in and we had to replace the doors but I can still picture that butter knife being in there...
Sabrina

Mary your sis said...

That butter knife was innovative, but it gave me a sense of security seeing it in place when I was alone in the house!

Granni's lil Corner said...

Sounds like we were thinking along the same line. I have some in my back door at the present. I wonder if you could put up a link to the womans blog, that you bought the homemade lavender soap. I can't find her blog, and want to buy some soap. Thanks so much.

twebsterarmstrong said...

I'm new to your blog, and your butter knife-door-locking piqued my interest. Do tell...

Our circa 1885 farmhouse has similar charm as what you describe. Our front screen door is "locked" w/ a knotted rope pulled indoors before the main door is shut. Keeps the wind and the bloodhound out.