Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Ve Vill Make Da Rhubarb Cake!

Hello, beautiful! Here we go, ready to get muddy?

First, I need to cut the rhubarb! Out we go to the misty landscape. Sometimes, after a good soaking rain, the earth almost feels HAPPY. The seeds are in the ground, some sprouted already, some are softening and ready to show themselves. The earth is full of promise. Since it's been raining all night and part of the morning, I get the wellies out so I won't sink in the mud! They've never seen the mud before-- or --the garden, so they're pretty happy that they are finally useful to me.




Out to the garden, our hound, Duke races ahead, to look for bunnies in the peony bushes...while I'm hoping there's no garter snakes hiding in the rhubarb....that would mean an automatic heart attack, harmless or not I hate, hate, hate snakes!


There you are, you tart, sweet .... vegetable? Fruit? Neither? I don't know what you are but you're going into my cake!

A sharp knife is the key, rhubarb is tough and stubborn....




Back to the kitchen....now which apron shall I wear? Whose turn is it today?


Yes, I chose the one right in front and center; with the fruit and apple blossoms...and I'll use the bowl my sister gave me, for no reason, other than she knows I'd love it!



Apron strings are tied, ready to BAKE! Here's the recipe for all you who'd like it!

Rhubarb Dump Cake
1 pound (or 3-4 cups) rhubarb cut into 1/4" slices (I would use more rhubarb...perhaps a bit more sugar, too.)
1 c. white sugar
1-3 oz. package strawberry flavored Jello mix (powder only)
1 c. water
1-18.25 oz. package yellow cake mix
1/4 c. margarine, melted
(chopped pecans, optional)
Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish. Spread the rhubarb that has been tossed with the jello and the sugar into the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle the cake mix over the top of the rhubarb mixture, the pour the margarine and the water over top of the cake mix. DO NOT stir.
Bake for 45 minutes in preheated oven, or until the rhubarb is bubbling and tender.

NOW, my alter ego, the crazy baking lady is taking over....here goes...don't mind the accent!

Come, let's make a velly delicious cake. Da rhubarb is vashed....and chopped. Ve can get to vork. It veely is much ado about nutting....because zee cake is velly, velly EASY! Embawassingly easy!


It's done! It smells velly goot. I should have put da chopped pecans on top...oh vell. VAT? No vipped cream in da house! Vat vill ve do about dat?



Ve vill eat it anyvay!!



I must get a big, cold, glass of zee milk....farm girls like zee MILK! YUM! Vant coffee? Velly good. You like? Eh? Vat's dat? You vant more? Come, ve vill go out to da porch...and ve vill visit vile ve eat!

It's me, Joni. I can't believe it, but I FORGOT AN INGREDIENT in this simple cake recipe. I completely left out the water!! (And, my alter ego is "velly, velly disappointed in my poor cooking skills")! Your rhubarb cake will turn out much, much, better!

15 comments:

Mary said...

MMMmmmm... you can't fool me! That cake doesn't look like its missing anything,; except my lips smakin' together in pure delight! If I can find some rhubarb in my neck of the woods, I'll get your recipe to make some!

mary said...

So sorry...I meant to say my lips smackin' together LOL!

Unknown said...

Ve vil try it zoon, sink u.;D

Barefoot Studios Ok, LLC said...

I don't think I've ever had Rhubarb...but that looks delicious!!!

Eclectic Chic Style said...

I have never eaten Rhubarb, but your recipe looks delish and makes me want to try it, and you grow your own? WOW, your garden looks great, and I love your apron collection!!
♥ Teresa

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

I love dump cake, but never had the rhubarb version...sounds yummy!

What a great blog you have...love your home!

Mindy said...

I love how your garden has a picket fence around it! Love your boot too! We have stuff with big leaves growing around here. Not sure if it's rhubarb. Do they always have red stems? Does it grow whereever? Just curious. Looks like a yummy cake!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Where do I start? 1st off...I love your alter-ego, the crazy baking lady. 2nd....I love rhubarb, and it is in the markets now, fresh from the MI gardens. 3rd....I love/want/need your aprons. Rarely a day goes by that I am w/o mine. I will surely be looking for some "new" ones at garage sales!

Twisted Fencepost said...

You are so silly! Love the crazy baker lady!
I have only eaten rhubarb raw and didn't care much for it. I am curious to know how it tastes in a cake. I may just have to try this. Now...I gotta find some rhubarb.

English Cottage in Georgia said...

The rhubarb cake looks delicious - will have to put it on the "to do" list.
The part of the snake and heart attack made me laugh, I so identify.

Tracy said...

I have those same rain boots!!! Love them! Your garden is so beautiful. I'm envious. I think next year I'm going to focus a bit more on my garden here. I have a small garden here, but I've got tons of room in the back yard...I've just got to get it together. I'll be stopping in later for coffee & Rhubarb cake:)

Kathleen Grace said...

Yum! We made rhubarb apple crumble for our sunday school class last week, if I had seen this recipe I would have tried it too!

Elenka said...

Our rhubarb isn't quite ready to pick, but once it is, I'm glad to have something else besides strawberry rhubarb pie to make !

DogFeathers said...

That looks so good! I just ate some fresh rhubarb pie. Just the simple sugar, eggs, rhubarb, pie shell kind- oh so goooood!

Ali said...

Oooo! Vee vill be tryeeng eet soon! Believe it or not, I just tasted my first (that I can remember) dump cake on Mothers Day! It was SO good! So, whenever I get some good sized rhubarb, I will definitely be trying this recipe! Thanks for sharing it!