Friday, May 29, 2009

One Misty Morning....



The chives bloom in gorgeous lavender hues.


During most of the week, we had rainy, dreary weather. Of course, the rain did wonders for the gardens, and seeds have softened and reached for the sky....I took a walk around the yard with the camera one dreary morning after the rain had stopped, and I must say that the lighting is absolutely wonderful when the daylight is here but the sun is hiding up above the low, thick clouds; not hindering the show of true colors from the plants and flowers. If you're able on your camera, turn off the flash to keep the colors true.

promise of a peony


A seed emerges from the rich soil.


Duke begs to get into the garden, he knows little bunnies live in the strawberry patch!


The raspberries burst through the garden fence.





A large pile of weathered barn wood soaked in the rain, and the moisture accents the handhewn beams and shows even more clearly the old handmade pegs. Wet barnwood has its own special smell, and it reminds me of walking into the old barn after the rain while it was still standing. It's been hard to let go of the old outbuildings, so we kept a pile of the timbers in case we get inspired to build something new out of wood that's more than 100 years old!


Old picket fence, weathered to a perfect patina....













Thanks for taking a walk with me on a misty and moist morning, my friend! How does a hot cup of tea sound?

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos! Your place looks just like heaven to me!

Unknown said...

I LOVE LOVE it...and that shot of your front porch is absolutely so inviting!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I, too, noticed how much nicer my photos looked on a cloudy day!
The gardens look beautiful...rain or shine!

Hollace said...

Beautiful Pictures!

Dena said...

Oh I could linger here a long while! What a treat to see those lovely wet boards and the sprouts with promise...*sigh* - I feel like the dog with my nose between the fence boards :) You have a lovely blog and I will be back when I finish my homework!

Hugs,
Dena

Anonymous said...

These pictures are amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

hiya, I have an award for you over on my blog!

Barbara said...

Just love your blog and the music that goes along with it...loved your post yesterday about your daughter...mine is 3 and I too love to just sit with her and play and comb her hair...I hear ya about getting misty eyed...I do when I look at newborn pics of her and...she is only 3!!! What will I do when she is really grown up??!! Anyway, back to todays post...love the pics...you seem to live on a beautiful piece of land. And...yes...I would love a cup of tea...Enjoy your day!

Barbara

Mary said...

Beautigul post, Joni! What kind of camera do you have? The colors are so crisp and vibrant! Enjoy your weekend....

Ali said...

Oh, thank you for the lovely walk, I really needed that! And some tea sounds wonderful right now! Had a long day at a family picnic, chasing the little one around all day! Beautiful pics, love the "after the rain" pics & Duke has the sweetest face =)

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What beauty in your pictures, the old weathered fence is gorgeous, one of the things closest to my heart...100 year old wood.
You live in a delightful old home, it exudes family, friends and an appreciation of the "good" things in this life.
Thanks for the nice comment, when you visited earlier ;)
Will return often !

Carol Murdock said...

Joni...your photos are wonderful! LOVE the Bleeding Hearts!

Barbara Jacksier said...

Sounds great. May I have that with a little milk, no sugar? Thanks

Your photos are truly lovely. I felt like I was walking along with you.