Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Great Lakes Are Calling....





One last chance this summer to travel to one of the Great Lakes, and whether it's swimmin' weather or not (it won't be!) I still have to stand and look, take a deep gulp of air and breathe it in deeply, smell and hear it, walk into the waves and connect with my home state as I choose to see it: beautiful lakes that I have known all of my life. I have distant childhood memories of waking up to the sounds of the birds, the waves lapping at the shores, the smell of the water and the wild beauty that greets you as you unzip the tent in the early morning.

Each Lake has its own loveliness and special characteristics, reasons to love it for its own unique charms.

I'm off to connect with the very best part about this beaten-down state. The scenery can't be matched, and when I think of what Michigan really is, it's not the industrial rust belt, the high unemployment and dying economy:
NO.
...it's the glorious and majestic creation unlike any other in the world: wild and beautiful, and in my heart is a love for the beauty that surrounds the edges of this state that is almost heartbreaking..I love the Great Lakes, winter, spring, summer or fall.

I'm on my way to a soul-soothing visit with a few of these over sized lakes, to watch the sunsets, listen to their song, and feel my heart beat in rhythm to the waves, which is pure happiness.
XOXO
Joni

15 comments:

Sue said...

Have a wonderful time. There really is no place else on earth quite like Michigan, is there! Its a great place to live if you're retired.

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Are ya passin' thru my neck of the woods??? Let me know!

Donna said...

I hope that you have a glorious trip!

Unknown said...

What a great tribute, Joni! We are taking advantage of the weekend too (which will have fabulous weather) and heading to Torch Lake...a.k.a. heaven on earth. Have a wonderful holiday!

jen said...

What a beautiful post!! We have done our share of travels, but nothing compares to our home state of MI!!

Have a wonderful time!!

Jen

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

Having grown up in Toledo, Ohio, I do miss Lake Erie! I learned to water ski on that Lake; with my Dad right by my side :)
Have a wonderful time, Joni. And tell the Great Lakes I said Hello!
Blessings, Misha

Vicki's Bit-o-earth said...

Michigan - the state I was born in... Lake Michigan - the lake I fell into at age 18 months. I have no memory of the lake, since my parents moved from there to California, where I was raised when I was two, but my Mom has told me about many summer visits there. I guess I'll just have to enjoy your it through your photos for now.

I didn't realize there were lighthouses on the lakes... I guess I equate them with the ocean, but now I realize that it makes perfect sense! They are BIG lakes, and you wouldn't know you weren't at the edge of the ocean by looking at them. Beautiful photos Joni. Enjoy and rejuvenate~ xx Vicki

KathyB. said...

I truly do know the yearning for the water that soothes you , and hope you leave after your visit to the Great Lakes, renewed and energized!

Patty said...

Have a great trip and it is so pretty. I have never been to Michigan but I love the pictures that you share. I am from Tennessee and love our mountains and lakes as much as you love your home state. I know what you mean. :)

Judy said...

Nice post...There's nothing like living by one of the Great Lakes.

Kathleen Grace said...

The lakes are spectacular! One of our favorite vacations has been camping in a state park in Port Austin and walking the beach with our girls. We never get tired of it. I hope you have a wonderful time!

peggy said...

I just recently "found" your blog and just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy it. I live in Michigan, transplanted from Kentucky, but I love it here. I'm going to try your Sun Dills if I can find some cukes at this late date. Thanks....

Anonymous said...

After living and raising our children in Mt Pleasant
Michigan for 20 years.
Lake Superior is my favorite.

Pamela in Ohio

Twisted Fencepost said...

Beautiful pictures!
I hope you have a great time!!!

Anonymous said...

This post brought back a lot of memories for me. Back in the '90s we took a trip with my Dad and Mom to the UP. My Dad had just had part of a lung removed 4 weeks prior and probably made the trip in the better shape than any of us. But, the photo of the rocks reminded of my Mom and how she always picks up rocks where ever she travels. She filled her pockets, (jacket, pants and anything else she had on)including her hands. She bent down to pickup one last rock and lost her balance, down she went. You know how you laugh when someone falls, well, I'm sitting here laughing now just writing this. There she was trying to get up and we were all standing around her laughing our heads (and other things) off. Finally she just looked up at us and said, "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up." She was so loaded down with rocks that she couldn't get up by herself. She was not hurt, but she couldn't remember which rocks she had in her hands when she fell, so I'm sure that we brought home many more than we originally planned.

Thanks for the memories and sorry for this being so long.