Monday, September 21, 2009

A Few of My Favorite Things About....



FALL!

crisper breezes::bluer skies::rustling leaves::twinkling eyes::harvest and reaping::rainy days::leaves on fire::shorter days::pumpkins in rows::babies in tow::apples drenched in caramel::donuts dressed in cinnamon::the whisper of a falling leaf::blue jeans and sweatshirts::scarecrows::bushel baskets::squirrels bustling to gather winter's food::orchards::puppies chasing flying leaves::rakes:: mums in bright colors::hot stews::steaming soups::thanksgiving::football::homemade bread::muffins in bed::spicy cakes::cookies in rows::bonfires::hayrides::red tractors::pumpkin pies::red cheeked apples::heavy quilts::fluffy socks::the rustling leaves::warm cider::corn shocks::combines::grain trucks::burning bush::men in blaze orange heading out to the tree stand::gingersnaps::snicker doodles::scraping the windshield::tailgating::Indian summer::lake shore drives::



8 comments:

Kathleen Grace said...

I love all these things too:>) My grandmother had dishes like the middle photo, I forget the name of them. That platter is beautiful!

Bloggin bout my Boys said...

I love that apples with red cheeks line!! They really do look like they have cheeks!!! Fall is MY FAVE and if it has anything to do with it..I'm in!!

Bella Della said...

Fall is my favorite too! You know, I just bought a turkey platter like that at a thrift store. I can't wait to put it out.

Gena said...

I LOVE FALL! I start getting ready for Fall around the middle of August - I can barely wait for it to arrive.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. I wish it wasn't so blaring hot here, though. I love this time of year with a burning passion....

Twisted Fencepost said...

It may be Fall, but it's still summer around here. Still wearing shorts and flip flops.
But Fall is in the air.
I LOVE that plate with the turkey. It's beautiful!

CountryLass said...

First day of fall and we're doing spare ribs on the grill, potato salad and deviled eggs.....its 87 today! After 30 years in the south, I still miss fall in Ohio/Indiana.....

Mary Jane said...

I have a turkey platter like this from an estate sale several years ago. I display it with my grandmother's platter, and another round turkey plate. The plate is a collectible my husband's aunt gave us years ago, and the turkey platter that was Nanny's is one of my most cherished possessions. When she and my grandad got married on March 9, 1911, they bought their household goods "to set up housekeeping", as she said, and the man who sold them to them, gave them the platter as a wedding gift. One year, she asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and I asked for something old of hers. She gave me the platter! It turned 100 years old this year! My grandaddy passed away in 1964, and she died in about 2001. They influenced me so much...that's where I learned so much about quilting, canning, gardening, cooking.
I love fall. It is my favorite season, too. In our hot Texas summers, I long for fall. Today is cool enough for the heat to be on a little, but beautiful and sunny outside.