Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Magic of the Ordinary: Domesticity







do·mes·tic·i·ty

  [doh-me-stis-i-tee]

noun, plural do·mes·tic·i·ties.
1.
the state of being domesticdomestic  or home life.
2.
a domestic  or household act, activity, duty, or chore.








Sometimes I walk by something and it just hits me:  THAT is beautiful!  I have to run and get my camera to keep the light that shined on my sheets, fresh off the line.  This was evening, with sunset shining through the window where the kitchen table sits.









Sometimes the brilliant sunrise shines in on my little buffet...and I run again for that Canon.









Yes, sometimes things just shine:  ordinary things, shine in a magical way because they're beautiful and simple.








I'm busier than a one-armed paper-hanger and I'll have to catch you up soon, but for today, just a beautiful collection (I think so anyway!) of scenery around the house on an ordinary day, all of these scenes held magic for me.

Sometimes, it's the way the light hits a certain object or collection of objects:  autumn light is one of the most beautifully golden things there is.

Sometimes, I want to freeze something to hold onto it, for instance the geranium pair just outside the front window....this scene will soon be replaced by blowing leaves, gray skies and brown, empty crop fields.

I want to pull that geranium shot up this winter, along about February, and just savor it again.

The tomatoes were just brilliant and had me running for my camera, as the morning sun shone on them one Saturday morning as I rolled up my sleeves to get busy on canning a bushel of tomatoes.  

I also want to remember THOSE on a blustery February day.  

And also this...







There's magic in our homes, and we are fortunate to be able to see it, don't you think?





4 comments:

Kathie Truitt said...

Hee-hee! I spy 'the Hillbilly Debutante Cafe'.

Everything you see has beauty and you have a way with a camera that captures that element.

I STILL want to hop in the truck and drive up to see you.

Anonymous said...

This is so true, Joni! These simple little things that invoke joy.

Valerie said...

I so agree! I just wish more folks would stop rushing around in their "oh so busy lives" and savor what is most important...their loved ones in their homes! No need for big,fancy homes...tiny, well-maintained, cozily decorated homes serve the same purpose. As Blessed Mother Teresa says, "Be faithful in small things, for it is them that your strength lies." Amen!

Mary Ann Potter said...

Amen a thousand times, Joni! There is such beauty in simplicity. Here on the farm I'm now being entertained by my head rooster, Ricky Ricardo, as he crows his familiar little song. I'm getting ready to take Lucky the farm dog for his daily 2 and a half mile walk along the creek and through the hay fields. Simple pleasures, bountiful blessings.