Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Simple Suppers: Unstuffed Cabbage!







Who doesn't need time-savers at Christmastime?


One pan dinners are the best this time of year, for their warmth, their filling satisfaction, and for the ease of preparation and cleanup!




We've got better things to do like string lights and decorate the house, wrap gifts, and make sugar cookies, right?




So....cold outside.  Warm yourself up!










My husband loves this.  My boys?  Not so much, just because they don't care for cabbage.  I have to admit that when I was young, cabbage cooking always smelled like old people to me.  I guess we are officially old now.  Heh.  I guess a time or two a year won't hurt to be old.






**Please note:  Although the recipe says to assemble it all and bake it in the oven for almost an hour, instead to speed it up, I mix mine on the stove and cook it most of the way and then add the cheese and only bake until the cheese is browned.







UNSTUFFED CABBAGE


6 c. chopped cabbage  
1/2 lb. ground beef (or venison)
1 small onion
1 c. uncooked instant rice
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 can tomato soup, undiluted
1 c. water
1/3 c. shredded cheddar cheese


**Instead of canned tomato soup, I use my home-canned tomatoes and leave out the water or just add a little.


Place the cabbage in a greased 2.5 quart baking dish.  In a skillet cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, drain.  Stir in the rice, salt if desired, and spoon over cabbage.  Combine soup and water, pour over  beef mixture.


Cover and bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes until rice and cabbage and tender.  Uncover, sprinkle with cheese, bake and 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.





Easy, peasy!  Serve with a salad or a nice bread and enjoy the taste of cabbage rolls without taking all the time to roll them!


Leftovers are awesome to send the next day for lunch, it actually improves the flavors!


Hope all is well with you and your Christmas preparations!


(And don't tell anyone I'm old, okay?!)



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks delish! Mister loves cabbage, I'll have to keep this recipe.

Unknown said...

Yum! TY for sharing!!
Merry Christmas ~
TTFN~
Hugs,
Marydon

PS GIVEAWAY ends 12/9

Nanny23 said...

Hello there...this is Nanny23 one of your Pinterest Followers.

I make something very similar called "inside out stuffed peppers"...just substitute your green peppers for the cabbage if you ever want to. I love cabbage but the smell is hard to get out of the house after you cook it...maybe light some Christmas candles?! ;-)

Kerin said...

That is a very tasty looking recipe! Thanks for sharing.
I'm going to print it off, and put it in my 'must try' file.

It's nice to have something quick and tasty, and especially not to 'heavy' this time of year.

Have a happy day.

P.s. That little grand babe of yours is certainly growing up fast. What a cutie-pie :)

Dairy Air said...

I'll have to try this next year at deer camp! Cabbage is like wood...keeps you warm twice. I'm headed up to the grocery store in a little bit and caught your post just in time. Gonna serve it tonight. Thanks, Joni