Friday, December 16, 2011

Corners of My Home: Christmas with Happy Bubbles






Bubble lights make me HAPPY.




Brightening and bubbling at Christmastime since the 1950's...I've found the perfect spot for my string of bubble lights.  


They don't work on my tree too well:  they always fall down, but I have this big unsightly window and sill that needs brightening at Christmastime.  


It's my most un-favorite window all year, but with these beauties bubbling away at Christmas, I LOVE IT!

How could I not?





To solve the problem of the light string sliding and of the lights not being able to stand up on their own, up the stairs I went to the fabric closet.  I found the perfect specimen!  A thick piece of Christmas-y fleece folded to fit the sill.  


(This old sill is about six inches or just a little less.  It's the only wide sill in the house.)


Then I went back up to the attic and took a dive to the back of the stack of bins of Christmas junk and found an old used piece of garland to attach the bulbs to so they'd do their job which is to bubble and make me feel giddy.







Then I added a few old dollar store snowflakes to reflect and shine the bright light...and a few beads to help them out.  




These are not the old, dangerous bubble lights.  They are just a few years old, Mr. Farmhouse brought them home from the hardware store.





They're happily bubbling away!  

I wonder if they'd like the job full-time?



9 comments:

Karen~The Barely There Primitive Bear said...

I love it, sure wish I had some of those lights! Great way to display them.
Merry Christmas!

Bear Hugs & Blessings~Karen

Unknown said...

My Mom used to have some of those, thanks for the sweet memories! Merry Christmas!!!

Laura said...

I've always love bubble lights. Great way to display them!

Ali said...

Yay! I love bubble lights too! We have some, but like you said, its hard to keep them looking right on the tree, so I haven't done anything with them. Jim's parents had some that I think we attached to a piece of wood and then all decorated with garland, etc to hide the wood. I will have to get our lights out and find them a spot, I sure do miss them! =)

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Oh I love bubble lights; they make me feel happy and that's a welcome feeling these days.
Thank you, Joni, so much!

mary your sis said...

I have bubble lights and garland in my kitchen window, under the vintage choir boy print valance. Those little beauties sure make me feel bubbly while my hands are in the suds. Your home looks cozy, warm and beautiful. Thanks for welcoming us in!

lillie mae acres said...

I love it! I think they look better on the seal than they do on trees. Great job. Merry Christmas!

Eileen said...

I grew up with bubble lights on the tree. I remember sitting there and just watching them bubble. Wonderful memories! Merry Christmas!

trump said...

Been a really long time since ive seen those, do they still make and sell them? Richard