Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Garage Sale Goodness!

I have not had the time to do any garage sales in the last several weeks, but about a month ago, I stopped at one and spotted this framed needlework. It's all I found at that sale. Good enough! I thought the cross stitch would be great made into a pillow for the rockers on the front porch. I picked it up for $1 and left. When I got home, I took the needlework out of the frame (it had been duct-taped!) to wash some of the grime away and discovered that the frame, while ugly now, would be great spray painted to use for a chalkboard and it fit perfectly the 16 x 12 board the cross stitch was mounted on. BUT WAIT!


Underneath the needlework, there was a bonus...an original oil painting. While it doesn't match any of my interiors, I thought it was pretty and especially liked the aqua bowlful of grapes and the chippy aqua table that the fruit sits upon. You just never know what you're going to get. I am trying to find this painting a home...but meanwhile, here's the stitchery that I got...I'm lovin' those bluebirds!



When I get it made into a pillow I'll show you...
There's no sewing going on right now in the farmhouse but maybe in the fall or the winter!

9 comments:

Carol Murdock said...

wonderful find Joni and aqua is the color of the day!

blushing rose said...

Now, Joni, that is MY!!! kind of shopping ... everything in one package. Chuckle! Good buy. TTFN~ Marydon

Thistle Cove Farm said...

What a GREAT find, congratulations!

Marie said...

What a great find! I look forward to seeing your pillow. I wish I was able to go to yard sales--you girls find the neatest things.

Kathleen Grace said...

A double whammy:>) The needlework is so beautiful, I love the bright colors and bluebirds! The painting is beautiful too, clearly someone who loves color like I do! I haven't had great luck at the sales this year. Some years it's treasures everywhere but this year has been pretty dismal. Oh well, I still have a few weeks of sales left and then, there is always next year:>)

Donna said...

What a nice Find!! I love going to garage sales...never know What you'll find!!hughugs

Vicki's Bit-o-earth said...

Joni, Ditto on the "not enough time" to do some of the things I love to do, such as garage sale hunts, etc., but so glad you were able to fit yours in! Keep up the fun as you can... keep up the good work you do! Ditto that here! XX Vicki

English Cottage in Georgia said...

What a beautiful surprise! I too am a big fan of vintage samplers - love the wisdom very often expressed!

The Gathering Room said...

I couldn't believe it when I saw this stitchery..i did the very same one back in the 60's ! I am not sure where I bought the kit but thinking it may have been by Avon as they were selling stichery kits at that time.It was customary to use old pixctures we had to frame things on..Idid this as well, putting mine over a blueboy ( matches pinkie) print as the picture was quite large. shoot..I sold mine a long time ago..should have made it into a pillow also.