Thursday, September 2, 2010

Photographer's Paradise



It's always amazing to me how far away from home one can get with just a tank of gas and several hours of time.

Even more, it surprises me how much the surroundings can inspire in me the urge to pull out the camera and even change lenses, stop the car, turn it around and go back to capture a gorgeous barn or a beautiful church.

Oh, these photos I work for are treasures, precious memories to me. Just as some collect rocks and beautiful memories of the geology of the area they visited to save and remember where it was they picked it up.

Me? I gather photos and get a thrill out of collecting the memories of beautiful, pastoral rolling meadows, and lake shores and sunsets and sunbeams.





So, sit back and enjoy the beauties I captured for you today, in a tour of the "little finger" of the mitten of Michigan. This peninsula holds in store a thrill around every curve in the road. Another breathtaking view of a farm or a church, or a lake view.




An 1850's Presbyterian Church on Sutton's Bay.








Even the clouds made today more lovely, every time I turned around, I had more beautiful clouds to look at, changing the light to 'just right' and making the water shimmer in a new way...casting light in lovely ways across the landscape.







Luke was with me, and he admitted today the he really enjoys shooting with me, and he loves our "picture adventures"....and my heart sang. And, when I uploaded these, it nearly burst with pride at the skill he's developing.





Don't pass up the chance, if you ever happen to have the opportunity to spend a day roaming the roads of the Leelanau Peninsula. You won't be sorry. And, you'll think you're in paradise itself...




Even if you're NOT a photographer,





You'll find plenty to do and plenty to enjoy...

And not fight ANY crowds or horrible traffic to get there.

You'll be so relaxed.






But, don't be surprised if you don't find yourself reaching for your camera,
over
and
over
and
over






... and over again!

12 comments:

Valerie said...

OMG...just beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. And as I listen to "Home" play on your play list, I get misty-eyed remembering my idyllic childhood summers in Michigan.

For a state whose economy is in the pits...it has so much to offer...incredible natural beauty, wonderful people and cultures...I could go on and on.

Your photographs are awesome!

Hope all is well. I haven't been around to visit much, but I've been a tad bit busy! ;)

Val

Teresa said...

Just beautiful, Joni! I always love your photo road trips. One day I would love to tour your beautiful state.

Mindy said...

Loved the pictures! You have a way of writing it to make it like we're really there.:) Thanks for sharing!

Jeanette said...

Yes, the Leelenau Penninsula is another beautiful place amound many to see in Michigan. I love living in this state! Your pictues are wonderful!

Betty Sue said...

I love Michigan. All you have to do is visit other states and even with their glory, I have always concluded, that Michigan is my very favorite state for it's beauty.
Betty Sue

Laura said...

I love the Leelanau Peninsula! Beautiful photos...
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Yes, we must be nearly neighbors! :)
Laura

Kathie Truitt said...

Your camera skills never cease to amaze me. Joni your blog is such a blessing to me. It provides such a peaceful escape and while I may not comment every single time I visit you anytime I see you have a new post.
I love the last picture of the barn second best. My favorite? The one of a plateau-looking landscape with the water. It looks another country.

Mandy said...

Beautiful shots! Thanks for sharing!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I love your picture of the church!

Elenka said...

LOVE the lake photos. Michigan is intriguing to me. A lot of times photos look a lot like New England.

Mrs. Cherry Heart said...

BEEEEEEEEEE autiful!

Thank you
Smiles, Dolly

Hollace said...

The photos are breathtaking--paintings!