Monday, November 3, 2008

Why do I like living in the COUNTRY?


One reason: Fall, all golden in its glory, mellow and soft, the way it smells, even the sound of fall is beautiful: quieter, more blue. Like the earth is saying to us, "It's time for me to rest, put the blanket over me and let me be". The sleepiness of the haze in the morning is awakened by the sun and slowly melts away to reveal scenes like these.
**
I love the way the excitement grows especially as farmers run back and forth: the combine, the grain truck, the plow, the planter, all make their way up and down the road, tracks of mud follow each. The farmer's wife runs her men the meal, or follows them to the next field or to get the next piece of equipment they'll need for the next field they're going to work.
**
The fields are ripe and ready to harvest, and a feeling of well-being, of being blessed by God linger in the air. We can feel it: the change in the air tells us that winter surely is almost here, but yet we can savor one more day of warm weather like a blessing unexpected.
**
Another reason is a scene like the one above that greets me each day. I do believe I will be melancholy the day they turn into this field with the cornhead on the big red combine to cut this beautiful crop. But it's all something to savor, especially the harvest time. I can remember this winter as the cold winds and snow blow across this same field that lies behind us that next spring will bring another season of excitement as the seed is once again laid in this bounty-producing ground!
**
No matter what happens tomorrow, the seasons are something God has given us all to savor, to enjoy and to mark our years this way.

No comments: