Monday, October 6, 2008

CHICKEN SOUP CURES ALL....

CLICK ON ANY IMAGE TO ENLARGE


I just don't know what it is about fall, but it seems like a special kind of satisfaction sets in once I get all my corn shocks tied together, the pumpkins taken from their vines in the garden and get them all set out, the colorful fall grapevine wreaths hung on the porch, and a pretty fall tablecloth on the dining room table with a special centerpiece. I got all that done yesterday afternoon on a beautiful lazy Sunday afternoon. Lem and Mark went out hunting, so I got busy.

Getting all that done makes me feel like fall is really here, and so I want to get a pot of soup going, and bake a loaf of egg bread, the recipe my dear friend Pat shared with me years and years ago when we were country neighbors! (Pat's bread is the best and sweetest, most lightly delicate bread you've ever had the privelege of melting a pat of butter on! And Pat was one of the most giving and sharing friends I have ever had the privelege to know!)

Anyway, there's a certain sense of well-being and caring for your family when you have a pot of soup on the stove, a loaf of bread going and the laundry hung on the line on a beautiful and crisp autumn afternoon. (It makes me want to put on an apron and ring a dinner bell!)

Chopping the onions, carrots and the celery is a therapy in itself. It speaks of care and love. As the afternoon wears on and you stop what you're doing to take a sniff, the aroma of the bread baking and the soup simmering is a reminder of what's to come: everyone sitting down together at the dinner table with your family slurping good old chicken noodle soup and cutting big hunks of bread off to butter! For me, showing my love is cooking for my family and fall brings out the best!

OFFICIAL FARMHOUSE FOOD!

No comments: